Calculating v_0 and i_0 with KVL & Ohm's Law

In summary, the homework equation for v0 is v0 = i2*1 = .2 Volts, and the homework equation for i0 is i0 = i2 = .2 Amps.
preimmortal

Homework Statement

In the figure, calculate v_0 and i_0 when v_s = 1
43.jpg

Homework Equations

Using Mesh Currents:
KVL: The sum of all voltages around a closed loop is equal to zero.
Ohm's Law: V = IR
Cramer's Rule: i2 = delta2/delta

The Attempt at a Solution

I first designated the lower left loop as i1, the lower right loop as i2 and the top loop as i3 (All going counter clockwise).
I noted that v_s = 1 and i0 = i2
Using KVL, I found the equations for each mesh.
Mesh 1: -v_s + 1(i1-i3) + 1(i1-i2) = 0
2*i1 - i2 - i3 = v_s
2*i1 - i2 - i3 = 1

Mesh 2: 1*i2 + 1(i2-i1) + 1(i2-i3) = 0
-i1 + 3i2 - i3 = 0

Mesh 3: 1*i3 + 1(i3-i2) + 1(i3-i1) = 0
-i1 - i2 + 3*i3 = 0

So I have my three equations and three unknowns. I also know that v0 is the voltage drop across the 1 ohm resistor, which is v0 = ir = i2*1 = i2 and the current i0 is the same as i2 since it is in the same loop i0 = i2.

So I create a matrix with the three equations and attempt to solve the matrix using determinants and Cramer's rule.[ 2 -1 -1 ] [i1] = [1]
[ -1 3 -1 ] [i2] = [0]
[ -1 -1 3 ] [i3] = [0]

delta = det(A) = 2(9-1) + 1(-3-1) - 1(-1+3) = 10
delta2 = det(A (with 2nd column as 1, 0, 0)) = 2*0 - 1(-3+1) + -1*0 = 2

So i2 = delta2/delta = 2/10 = .2 Amps
v0 = i2*1 = .2 Volts
i0 = i2 = .2 Amps

I checked through my equations and these seems like the correct answers, but the solution says that it is .5 amps and .5 volts. Any insight on why the answer would be different would be helpful.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

det(A) is not 10, and the determinant of your adjoint matrix for i2 is not 2. Better check your matrix math!

Wow I fail at adding and subtracting. Thanks for your input, got the correct determinants now.

1. How do you calculate v0 and i0 using KVL and Ohm's Law?

To calculate v0 and i0 using KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) and Ohm's Law, you would first need to set up a circuit diagram and label all the known values. Then, using KVL, you can write out an equation representing the sum of all voltage drops in the circuit. Next, use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to find the value of the unknown current (i0) in the circuit. Finally, use this value to solve for the unknown voltage (v0) using the equation V=i0*R.

2. What is KVL and how is it used to calculate voltage in a circuit?

KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop circuit is equal to the sum of all voltage sources in that same loop. This law is used to calculate voltage in a circuit by setting up a loop and writing out an equation representing the sum of all voltage drops in that loop. This equation can then be solved to find the value of the unknown voltage.

3. How does Ohm's Law relate to calculating current and voltage in a circuit?

Ohm's Law states that the voltage (V) in a circuit is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R). This law is used to calculate current and voltage in a circuit by rearranging the equation to solve for either current (I=V/R) or voltage (V=IR). By knowing the values of two out of the three variables (V, I, and R), you can use Ohm's Law to find the value of the third variable.

4. What are the units of measurement for voltage and current in a circuit?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V), and the unit of measurement for current is amps (A). These units are used to quantify the amount of electrical potential energy and flow of charge, respectively.

5. How do you know when to use KVL and Ohm's Law to calculate voltage and current in a circuit?

KVL and Ohm's Law are used to calculate voltage and current in a circuit when the circuit is a closed loop (meaning it has no breaks) and when the values of at least two out of the three variables (V, I, and R) are known. These laws can also be used to check the accuracy of circuit calculations by comparing the calculated values with the measured values.