Universal mass than a proton?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of the Big Bang and how all mass in the universe was packed into an infinitely small volume prior to it. One participant questions if this is just an assumption and suggests the possibility of a more reasonable volume. They also bring up the term "singularity" but find it difficult to comprehend. Another participant explains that the mathematical singularity is not a widely accepted model. The conversation ends with the conclusion that the answer is uncertain and not necessary to know.
megacal
Universal mass <<<< than a proton?

Of all the models and theories that are being tossed about as fact,
the one that I have the most trouble with is that:

prior to the Big Bang, ALL mass...the Dark Energy, Dark Matter, and the mere 5% that comprises all the visible structures...stars, galaxies, gas, etc was packed into an infinitely small volume<<<<<< than a proton!? =O

Is that just an assumption when we extrapolate backwards in time?

Is it not possible that the volume was more reasonable, e.g. the Milky Way, still an incredibly
tiny volume to contain the mass of the entire universe?

I did a search about "singularity" but don't see an answer to my question.

Thanks,
Cal

Space news on Phys.org

Ah, not necessarily infinitely small, but infinitely dense.

Infinitely dense makes sense. :smile:

If you say so.

The mathematical singularity of the 'big bang' is not considered a realistic model by most modern cosmologists.

The mathematical singularity of the 'big bang' is not considered a realistic model by most modern cosmologists.
Thanks...I'm just at the beginning of the learning curve, and only have a undergrad math background.

Actually, I can't comprehend infinite anything, but somehow infinite density
is more acceptable to me with my limited knowledge and IQ than compressing
everything into something infinitely small.

Later...

came to the conclusion that I really don't need or want to know the answer...infinitely academic, and uncertain.

But thanks for the time & consideration. =)

Last edited:

1. What is the universal mass compared to a proton?

The universal mass is much larger than a proton. The mass of a proton is approximately 1.67 x 10^-27 kilograms, while the estimated mass of the observable universe is around 10^53 kilograms. This means that the universal mass is about 10^80 times greater than the mass of a single proton.

2. How is the universal mass calculated?

The universal mass is calculated by adding up the mass of all the matter and energy in the observable universe. This includes everything from galaxies and stars to dark matter and dark energy.

3. Is the universal mass constant?

No, the universal mass is not constant. It is constantly changing as new matter and energy is created through processes like nuclear fusion in stars and the expansion of the universe.

4. Why is the universal mass important in cosmology?

The universal mass is important in cosmology because it helps us understand the structure, evolution, and fate of the universe. It is also a key factor in theories such as the Big Bang and the formation of galaxies.

5. Can the universal mass be measured?

The universal mass cannot be directly measured, as it is too large and spread out to be contained or weighed. However, scientists can use various techniques and observations to estimate the universal mass and its distribution throughout the universe.