Magnetic flux through a closed surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic flux and the potential for a non-zero flux when constructing a closed surface around a magnet. However, it is determined that the flux will cancel out due to the way magnetic field lines pass through the inside of the magnet. This raises a question about the distinction between the North and South poles of a magnet and whether they are truly different or not.
tomwilliam
This is always zero, right?

What if you construct a closed surface which only encompasses one of the poles of a magnet? Surely there would then be a non-zero flux as the inside of the surface would constitute a source (or sink) of magnetic field lines.

I'm new to electromagnetism, so any help appreciated.
Tom

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope. What makes you think it would have a nonzero net flux? Just imagine what the setup looks like and you'll see that the flux will cancel.

Alternately just look at the Maxwell Equations (assuming that you believe in them of course). Div(B)=0.

Thanks. I had forgotten that the magnetic field lines can be thought of as passing through the inside of the magnet, so I take your point that they all cancel out.

That brings up a new question though: if the North pole of a magnet has field lines coming in and going out of it, and so does the South pole, then what exactly distinguishes them. As you can imagine, I've been approaching this as if it were electrostatics (hence not realising that the field lines pass through the centre) but it strikes me that there doesn't seem to be a difference between the two poles of the magnet...am I barking up the wrong tree?

1. What is magnetic flux through a closed surface?

Magnetic flux through a closed surface, also known as magnetic flux density, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field passing through a closed surface. It is defined as the total number of magnetic field lines passing through a surface.

2. How is magnetic flux through a closed surface calculated?

Magnetic flux through a closed surface is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the surface area perpendicular to the field. The formula for calculating magnetic flux is Φ = B⋅A⋅cos(θ), where B is the magnetic field, A is the surface area, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the surface.

3. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic flux?

The unit of measurement for magnetic flux is Weber (Wb) in the International System of Units (SI). In the cgs system, the unit of measurement for magnetic flux is Maxwell (Mx).

4. How does the orientation of a closed surface affect the magnetic flux passing through it?

The orientation of a closed surface does not affect the total magnetic flux passing through it. As long as the surface is completely enclosed by the magnetic field, the magnetic flux passing through it will remain the same regardless of its orientation.

5. What is the significance of magnetic flux through a closed surface?

Magnetic flux through a closed surface is an important concept in electromagnetism and is used to understand and analyze the behavior of magnetic fields. It is also a key component in calculating electromagnetic induction, which is the process of generating electricity through the change in magnetic flux through a closed surface.