Fecal Transplants to Cure Disease?

• Medical
  • Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Disease
In summary, an article in Atlantic Monthly discusses the controversial practice of fecal transplants and their potential to help treat a range of diseases. The article follows Chris Gorski's journey to find a doctor who would perform the procedure on his daughter and his eventual decision to learn how to do it himself at home. While some patients believe that missing crucial bacteria is causing their illnesses, others are skeptical of the effectiveness of fecal transplants as a medical treatment. The article also mentions a previous study on DIY fecal transplants and the ongoing research on the role of gut bacteria in our overall health.
rhody
Gold Member
Interesting article: Atlantic Monthly
If his four-year-old daughter gets sick again, Chris Gorski will take a drastic step. He will collect some of his own stool, strain it, and then transfer it into his daughter's body. This procedure -- known as a fecal transplant -- has been shown to help people like Chris's daughter Maya. Meanwhile, other patients and scientists hope that this bizarre transplant might work as medicine for a range of diseases, from asthma to MS.

and...

Gorski contacted the doctors at Mass General and begged them to see his daughter. No response. He tried other doctors around the country -- no luck. Then one gastroenterologist -- whose hospital had barred him from performing the operation on a child -- agreed to help. The doctor taught Gorski how to perform the procedure at home.

Now, Gorski says, "I'm getting my stool and blood tested to make sure that I don't carry any pathogens. That way I'll be prepared, if the time comes and I need to donate my bacteria to Maya."

Gorski's plan may sound medieval, but in fact he is at the forefront of a revolution. We are about to enter the era of living medicines. Scientists in labs around the country are racing to identify the thousands of bacteria that live in our gut, and to figure out which of these species help human beings fight off disease. Ideally, they will be able to pick out the bugs that help our bodies ward off diabetes, or obesity, or asthma.

But such treatments still shimmer in the future. In the meantime, the best approximation we've got is, well, crap. A healthy person's poop teems with bacteria that keep his or her body running smoothly. Some patients believe that they're sick, in part, because they're missing crucial species of bacteria. Medical studies show they may be right -- childhood asthma and Crohn's disease, for instance, appear to be related to a disruption of the gut.

and...

A few years ago, a team of Canadian doctors published a study of patients who tried the at-home transplants. The research paper is unusual in that it includes detailed instructions for performing the DIY medical procedure. It's as if -- with a wink and a nod -- the scientists are urging patients, especially those who have been turned away from hospitals, to operate on themselves.

It's as if modern medicine, has a deep aversion to this approach to treating a family member (with safeguards in place). I say let medical scientists test and vet it, then, let the chips (pun intended) fall where they may.

Rhody...

Biology news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
The "Similar Threads" links below show a thread about this from early 2011 with more info:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=467647
Thanks berkeman,

Dimly in the recesses of my mind I must have been aware of it, but I do find it odd that on 01/27/2011 a similar story was released and this one on 01/25/2011 by slate.com. Probably just a coincidence, right ?

Rhody...

Re-establishing a healthy bacteria colony, I can believe. But curing MS I'm skeptical of.

Pythagorean said:
Re-establishing a healthy bacteria colony, I can believe. But curing MS I'm skeptical of.

I agree. I've heard of doing it to repopulate necessary bacteria after treating C. Diff., at least in veterinary settings, but this sounds like it's being stretched too far beyond what evidence supports.

1. What are fecal transplants and how do they work?

Fecal transplants, also known as fecal microbiota transplants (FMT), involve transferring fecal matter from a healthy donor into the gastrointestinal tract of a recipient. This is typically done through a colonoscopy, enema, or capsule. The goal is to introduce healthy bacteria into the recipient's gut in order to restore balance and treat various diseases.

2. What diseases can be treated with fecal transplants?

Fecal transplants have been most commonly used to treat Clostridioides difficile (C. difficile) infections, a type of bacterial infection that can cause severe diarrhea and inflammation of the colon. However, research is also being done on the potential benefits of FMT for other conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, and even neurological disorders.

3. How is the donor for a fecal transplant chosen?

The donor for a fecal transplant is typically a healthy individual who has been thoroughly screened for any potential diseases or infections. This may include blood and stool tests, as well as a questionnaire about their medical history. Donors are usually family members or close friends, but some clinics may also have donor banks.

4. Are there any risks or side effects associated with fecal transplants?

While fecal transplants have shown to be effective in treating certain diseases, there are potential risks and side effects to consider. These may include infection, adverse reactions to the donor's bacteria, or potential transmission of diseases. It is important to carefully screen both the donor and recipient and closely monitor for any complications.

5. Is fecal transplant a widely accepted treatment?

Fecal transplants are still considered an experimental treatment and are not yet widely accepted by the medical community. The FDA has only approved the use of FMT for recurrent C. difficile infections that have not responded to other treatments. However, research is ongoing to explore the potential benefits and safety of fecal transplants for other conditions.