Centripetal acceleration of Earth around Sun?

In summary, centripetal force is a force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. When calculating the velocity needed to keep an object in circular motion, the formula v^2/r is used. In order for an object, such as a roller coaster, to stay on a circular path without its passengers falling out, the centripetal force (F_c) must be greater than the gravitational force (mg). This can be represented by the formula v^2/r > -g. The minimum speed needed for a roller coaster to stay on an 8.6m radius circle without its passengers falling out can be calculated by setting F_c = 0 and solving for v.
psycovic23
New question: centripetal force?

I can't seem to get the right answer...

R = 1.50 x 10^11

and I figure that 1 day/rev = 86400 sec/rev

So: [tex]\frac {2 \pi 1.50 * 10^{11}}{86400}[/tex] is the velocity, and then plug that into [tex]\frac {v^2}{r}[/tex] but I keep on getting 700 something..what am I doing wrong?

Question 2: At what minimum speed must a roller coaster be traveling when upside down at the top of a circle if the passengers are not to fall out? R = 8.6m

What I think you have to do is
[tex] mg + F_c = m * \frac {v^2}{R}[/tex]

but I don't know what F would be...or am I approaching this the wrong way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
psycovic23 said:
I can't seem to get the right answer...
R = 1.50 x 10^11
and I figure that 1 day/rev = 86400 sec/rev
So: [tex]\frac {2 \pi 1.50 * 10^{11}}{86400}[/tex] is the velocity, and then plug that into [tex]\frac {v^2}{r}[/tex] but I keep on getting 700 something..what am I doing wrong?

Whoever told you that the Earth circles (on an ellipse :tongue2: ) the Sun in one day (86400s) is a WACKO!

Daniel.

PS.I hope u see the error. :tongue2:

Wow. I'm dumb :tongue2:

*Bump for new question*

Hmm - Newton's second law(the mass cancels)... so, the centripetal acceleration has to be bigger than the gravitational acceleration.

[tex]
\frac{v^2}{r} > -g
[/tex]

psycovic23 said:
Question 2: At what minimum speed must a roller coaster be traveling when upside down at the top of a circle if the passengers are not to fall out? R = 8.6m

What I think you have to do is
[tex] mg + F_c = m * \frac {v^2}{R}[/tex]

but I don't know what F would be...or am I approaching this the wrong way?
So far, so good. What you call [itex]F_c[/itex] is the force exerted by the coaster on the passenger. The minimum speed of the coaster is that which will make [itex]F_c = 0[/itex]. When that force goes to zero, it means that the passengers are beginning to lose contact with the seat.

Ah, thank you very much!

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that a body experiences when it is moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the object's velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration related to the Earth's orbit around the Sun?

The Earth's orbit around the Sun is an example of centripetal acceleration. The gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun acts as the centripetal force, keeping the Earth in its circular path around the Sun.

3. What is the value of the Earth's centripetal acceleration around the Sun?

The Earth's centripetal acceleration around the Sun can be calculated using the equation a = v²/r, where v is the Earth's orbital velocity and r is the distance between the Earth and the Sun. The average value of this acceleration is approximately 0.0059 m/s².

4. How does the Earth's centripetal acceleration affect its orbit?

The Earth's centripetal acceleration is responsible for keeping the Earth in its orbit around the Sun. It balances the gravitational force between the Earth and the Sun, preventing the Earth from moving away or towards the Sun and maintaining a stable orbit.

5. Can the Earth's centripetal acceleration change?

The value of the Earth's centripetal acceleration can change if the distance between the Earth and the Sun changes. However, due to the large mass and distance of the Sun, this change is negligible and does not significantly affect the Earth's orbit. Other factors such as the gravitational pull of other planets can also affect the Earth's centripetal acceleration, but these changes are also minimal.