ChargePump - Bulk connections

• Thread starter shaikss
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 4-stage charge pump with dynamic CTS and its output voltage in different configurations. The question of whether to consider body effect in circuit design is also brought up, with the recommendation to always consider it in fabrication. The topic of load current for low power applications is discussed, with the suggestion to refer to instruction manuals for data. The use of the charge pump with other blocks and parameters to manipulate load current are also mentioned. The expert concludes by stating that controlling the bias of the MOS current source can control the load current.
shaikss
Hi,

I simulated 4-stage Charge pump with dynamic CTS.

When I have given 1.8V of input voltage, I observed 7.72V as output when the NMOS bulk is connected to ground and PMOS bulk connected to drain.(Highest potential)

At the same time, I observed 8.3V as output when NMOS bulk and PMOS bulk are connected to source.

Can you please let me know while designing any circuit is it good to consider body effect or neglect the body effect?

If VSB = 0, we have neglected body effect and if VSB !=0, then body effect comes into picture.

So, whether we have to neglect it or consider it?

What may be the load current for low power applications? Load is always dynamically varying.

So, how should we know what is the load current of the system?

I may connect chargepump to some another block for example EEPROM or any digital block in my design.
What are the different parameters to consider while manipulating load current?

If I vary the load resistance,then it is equivalent to varying load current. Am I right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Shaikss.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you please let me know while designing any circuit is it good to consider body effect or neglect the body effect?

If VSB = 0, we have neglected body effect and if VSB !=0, then body effect comes into picture.

So, whether we have to neglect it or consider it?

If you are just learning circuit operation, you may ignore it for simplicity.

If you are designing for fabrication NEVER ignore/assume anything.

What may be the load current for low power applications? Load is always dynamically varying.

So, how should we know what is the load current of the system?

Refer to instruction manuals of the chip to gather these data.

I may connect chargepump to some another block for example EEPROM or any digital block in my design.
What are the different parameters to consider while manipulating load current?

If I vary the load resistance,then it is equivalent to varying load current. Am I right? Please correct me if I am wrong.

There must be some MOS current source which provides o/p current. Control the bias of that source and you will control load current.

What is a ChargePump?

A ChargePump is a device that is used to transfer electrical charge from one circuit to another. It works by temporarily storing charge in capacitors and then transferring it to the output circuit.

What are Bulk Connections in a ChargePump?

Bulk connections in a ChargePump refer to the connections made to the power supply and ground rails of the circuit. These connections are important for providing the necessary power to run the ChargePump.

Why are Bulk Connections important in a ChargePump?

Bulk connections are important in a ChargePump because they provide the necessary power to run the circuit. Without proper power supply and ground connections, the ChargePump will not function correctly.

What is the purpose of using Bulk Connections in a ChargePump?

The purpose of using Bulk Connections in a ChargePump is to provide a stable power supply and ground connection to the circuit. This helps to ensure that the ChargePump operates smoothly and accurately transfers charge.

How do I make Bulk Connections in a ChargePump?

To make Bulk Connections in a ChargePump, you will need to connect the power supply and ground rails to the designated pins on the ChargePump circuit. This can typically be done using wires or by soldering the connections directly to the circuit board.