Suitable mechanism for changing the angle of attack of an airfoil

In summary, the angle of attack of an airfoil is the angle between the chord line and the incoming airflow, and it is important in determining lift and drag. Changing the angle of attack allows for control of lift and drag forces, and can be achieved through mechanisms such as flaps, slats, leading edge devices, and trailing edge devices. Flaps and slats specifically increase the camber and curvature of the airfoil, respectively, allowing for a higher angle of attack and increased lift at lower speeds.
swieity
I have to conduct wind tunnel test on a naca0015 symmetric airfoil at different angles of attack and I am in search of a suitable mechanism to change the angle of attack of the airfoil.Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many, many papers written on the subject. I'd suggesting looking a few up.

Ever heard of a 4-bar mechanism? Or a stepper motor? This seems like a very straightforward problem to me...

1. What is the angle of attack of an airfoil?

The angle of attack of an airfoil is the angle between the chord line of the airfoil (a line connecting the leading and trailing edges) and the incoming airflow. It is an important parameter in determining the lift and drag of an airfoil.

2. Why is it important to change the angle of attack of an airfoil?

Changing the angle of attack of an airfoil allows for control of the lift and drag forces acting on the airfoil. This is essential for the maneuverability and stability of an aircraft.

3. What are the different mechanisms for changing the angle of attack of an airfoil?

There are various mechanisms that can be used to change the angle of attack of an airfoil, including flaps, slats, leading edge devices, and trailing edge devices.

4. How do flaps change the angle of attack of an airfoil?

Flaps are hinged surfaces on the trailing edge of an airfoil that can be extended or retracted. When extended, they increase the camber of the airfoil, allowing for a higher angle of attack and thus increasing lift at lower speeds.

5. What is the function of slats in changing the angle of attack of an airfoil?

Slats are movable surfaces on the leading edge of an airfoil that can be extended or retracted. When extended, they increase the curvature of the airfoil, allowing for a higher angle of attack and thus increasing lift at lower speeds.