Proving PMI from nothing? Help find the error

• Thread starter Wenti
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary: So then don't we have m \in S \Rightarrow Sm \in S \Leftrightarrow Sm \notin S \Rightarrow m \notin S? Or is that not correct? If it's not, that's probably exactly where my problem is.No, the conclusion is that if A does not equal \mathbb{N}, then there exists some m \in \mathbb{N} such that m \notin A.
Wenti
"Proving" PMI from... nothing? Help find the error!

Homework Statement

Prove the Principle of Mathematical Induction from the Well-Ordering Principle.

Homework Equations

Principle of Mathematical Induction (PMI):
If [itex]A \subset \mathbb{N}[/itex] satisfies
(i) [itex]1 \in A[/itex],
(ii) if [itex]k \in A[/itex], then [itex]k+1 \in A[/itex],
then [itex]A = \mathbb{N}[/itex].

Well-Ordering Principle (WOP):
If [itex]A \subset \mathbb{N}[/itex] is nonempty, then [itex]A[/itex] has a least element.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this problem using the hypotheses from WOP. My problem is that I noticed an alternate "proof" that does not even use WOP, and I can't seem to find my error.

Assume that [itex]A \neq \mathbb{N}[/itex]. Then, there exists some [itex]m \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]m \notin A[/itex]. By the (contrapositive) second hypothesis of PMI, this means that [itex]m-1 \notin A[/itex]. But if [itex]m-1 \notin A[/itex], then [itex]m-2 \notin A[/itex]. Repeating this process [itex]m-1[/itex] times yields that [itex]1 \notin A[/itex], contradicting the first hypothesis of PMI that we are assuming. Therefore, [itex]A =\mathbb{N}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org

How do you prove the statement "Repeating this process m−1 times yields 1"? Think carefully about how "m-1" is defined before answering this.

[itex]m-1 = \underbrace{1 + 1 + \cdots + 1}_{m-1 times}[/itex].

I'm not sure why the statement needs to be proved or how to prove it statement. A little stab in the dark: are you saying that proving that statement requires induction itself, so I'm using my problem in my proof?

Wenti said:
[itex]m-1 = \underbrace{1 + 1 + \cdots + 1}_{m-1 times}[/itex].

I'm not sure why the statement needs to be proved or how to prove it statement. A little stab in the dark: are you saying that proving that statement requires induction itself, so I'm using my problem in my proof?

How you prove the result depends on what you know already and are allowed to use. You are NOT allowed to use any theorem whose proof used the PMI, because you are trying to prove the PMI. So, although every [itex] m \in \mathbb{N} [/itex] has a successor [itex]Sm[/itex], and there are some axioms made about how S behaves, there is no guarantee that every [itex]m \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] has a *predecessor*; that is, how do you know that m-1 exists? Of course, if we have the PMI we can prove all the things we need, such as the existence of a predecessor for every [itex] m \neq 1,[/itex] but without such results, you cannot begin to talk about m-1.

RGV

That makes sense.

... However, I'm still a little confused, because I thought that conclusion was based on the second hypothesis of PMI, not on PMI itself. Isn't it analogous to say "how do you know that [itex]m+1[/itex] exists?"; the second hypothesis of PMI asserts that existence. So shouldn't the contrapositive assert the non-existence of [itex]m-1[/itex]?

Wenti said:
That makes sense.

... However, I'm still a little confused, because I thought that conclusion was based on the second hypothesis of PMI, not on PMI itself. Isn't it analogous to say "how do you know that [itex]m+1[/itex] exists?"; the second hypothesis of PMI asserts that existence. So shouldn't the contrapositive assert the non-existence of [itex]m-1[/itex]?

"m+1" exists is the same as saying [itex] m \in \mathbb{N} \longrightarrow Sm \in \mathbb{N},[/itex] where S is the successor operator. The existence of S (and some properties of S) are in the very axioms you started with.

RGV

So then don't we have [itex]m \in S \Rightarrow Sm \in S \Leftrightarrow Sm \notin S \Rightarrow m \notin S[/itex]? Or is that not correct? If it's not, that's probably exactly where my problem is.

Wenti said:
So then don't we have [itex]m \in S \Rightarrow Sm \in S \Leftrightarrow Sm \notin S \Rightarrow m \notin S[/itex]? Or is that not correct? If it's not, that's probably exactly where my problem is.

Without induction I think that all we can say is that the successor function S obeys the following: [itex]S:\mathbb{N} \longrightarrow \mathbb{N}\backslash \{1\}[/itex] is _into_ and one-to-one (basically, those are among the axioms). In order to show that any [itex] y \in \mathbb{N} \backslash \{1\}[/itex] has the form [itex] y = Sx[/itex] for some [itex] x \in \mathbb{N},[/itex] we would need to know that the map is _onto_.

Anyway, even if we could prove that, it is still not clear that, starting from m you can eventually get to 1 by taking m-1, (m-1)-1, ... . Of course, it must be true, but we are speaking here about what can be _proven_ without using PMI.

RGV

1. How can you prove PMI from nothing?

Proving PMI (Principle of Mathematical Induction) from nothing means demonstrating that a statement or formula holds true for all natural numbers, starting from 0, without relying on any previous assumptions or axioms. This is typically done by using the PMI proof technique, which involves showing that the statement holds for the base case (n=0) and then using the inductive hypothesis to prove that it holds for the next case (n+1).

2. What is the error that needs to be found in the proof of PMI from nothing?

The error that needs to be found in the proof of PMI from nothing is typically a mistake in the inductive step, where the assumption of the inductive hypothesis is either incorrect or does not lead to the desired result. This error can sometimes be difficult to spot, but it is crucial to identify and correct in order to have a valid proof.

3. Can you provide an example of a proof of PMI from nothing?

Here is an example of a proof of PMI from nothing for the statement "For all natural numbers n, 3n + 1 is odd."

Base case (n = 0): 3(0) + 1 = 1, which is odd.
Inductive hypothesis: Assume that for some natural number k, 3k + 1 is odd.
Inductive step (n = k+1): 3(k+1) + 1 = 3k + 3 + 1 = (3k + 1) + 3. Since 3k + 1 is odd (by the inductive hypothesis), we know that (3k + 1) + 3 is also odd, as it is the sum of an odd number and an odd number. Therefore, the statement holds for n = k+1.

By the principle of mathematical induction, we can conclude that the statement holds for all natural numbers n.

4. Why is it important to prove PMI from nothing?

Proving PMI from nothing is important because it establishes the validity and reliability of the PMI proof technique. It demonstrates that starting from a basic assumption (n=0), we can use logical reasoning to extend the truth of a statement to all natural numbers. This is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used extensively in many areas of study, including algebra, number theory, and calculus.

5. Are there any tips for finding errors in a proof of PMI from nothing?

Here are a few tips for finding errors in a proof of PMI from nothing:
1. Double check the base case and make sure it is correct.
2. Check the inductive step and make sure the assumption of the inductive hypothesis is correct and leads to the desired result.
3. Look for any incorrect use of algebra or logical reasoning.
4. Consider using a counterexample (a specific value for n that does not satisfy the statement) to identify where the proof breaks down.
5. Ask for feedback from others or seek help from a math tutor or teacher.