A probability problem in Z_[q]

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the probability that there will be at least one zero in the sum of a vector multiplied by a constant in a given field. The reasoning involves considering the cases where either the constant or the vector contains a zero element, and using basic probability principles to determine the overall probability. However, there may be errors in the calculations and it is unclear how to guarantee zero terms in the sum.
petha
Hi, I am given the following problem.

Given the vector

x+a*y x,yin Zmq, a in Zq. What is the probability that there will be at least one zero in the sum?
My reasoning so far.

x+a*y = 0 either if a=0 or x i = -a*yi for some (or all) 1≤ i ≤ m

So by basic probability P(A U B) = P(A) + P(B) -P(A and B).

1 P(A) = P(a=0) = 1/q
2 P(B) = 1-P(No zeros) = 1 - ((q-1)/q)m (qm elements in total, (q-1)m elements with no zeros.
P(A AND B) = P(A)*P(B) = 1/q(1-((q-1)/q) m)
So in total 1/q+1-((q-1)/q)m)-1/q*(1-(q-1)/q)m)

This looks like a total mess, but I am not certain what is wrong in my calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
petha said:
Given the vector

x+a*y x,yin Zmq, a in Zq. What is the probability that there will be at least one zero in the sum?
My reasoning so far.

x+a*y = 0 ...
That says the entire vector is zero. I think you meant only that at least one dimension is zero.
... either if a=0 ...
How would that guarantee any zero terms in the sum? x might contain no zeroes.

1. What is a probability problem in Z_[q]?

A probability problem in Z_[q] is a mathematical problem that involves determining the likelihood of a certain outcome in a finite set of numbers, also known as a finite field. Z_[q] represents the integers modulo q, where q is a prime number. This field is often used in cryptography and coding theory.

2. How do you solve a probability problem in Z_[q]?

To solve a probability problem in Z_[q], you first need to identify the specific problem and understand the properties of the finite field. Then, you can use different mathematical techniques such as counting methods, combinatorics, and modular arithmetic to calculate the probability of the desired outcome.

3. What is the difference between Z_[q] and other probability problems?

Unlike traditional probability problems that involve real numbers, a probability problem in Z_[q] deals with integers modulo a prime number. This means that the numbers in the field have a finite range and follow specific rules of arithmetic, making the calculations more structured and predictable.

4. Can Z_[q] be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, Z_[q] has many practical applications, especially in the fields of cryptography and coding theory. It is used to encrypt and decrypt data, generate secure codes, and detect errors in transmitted data. It is also used in statistical analysis, game theory, and other branches of mathematics.

5. What are some common techniques used to solve probability problems in Z_[q]?

Some commonly used techniques to solve probability problems in Z_[q] include the Chinese Remainder Theorem, Fermat's Little Theorem, and the Inclusion-Exclusion Principle. Other methods such as generating functions, probability generating functions, and Markov chains can also be applied depending on the specific problem.