Please help, do not know what this type of problem is called or how to solve it

• Thread starter steph_swords
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Type
In summary, the nxn matrix B defined by the equation B = A2 - 2A +3I is invertible and find its inverse.
steph_swords
Suppose that A is an nxn matrix which satisfies the equation

A3 - 2A2 + 3A - I = 0

Show that the nxn matrix B defined by the equation B = A2 - 2A +3I is invertible and find its inverse.

Does anyone have any idea what this type of problem is called, and what steps you take to solve it?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a matrix algebra (linear algebra) problem. Try factoring it like you would a normal algebra problem. You'll also need to recall the definition of a matrix inverse to solve the problem.

can you be more specific? for some reason i just can't see how to do this, I've literally spent over 2 hours attempting to solve it.

You need to tell us what you've tried and where you are stuck.

i think what's messing me up is the fact that there are equations involved. i understand how to do the inverse of a matrix, but I can't seem to connect the dots between the idea of a matrix and how it relates to the given equations.

steph_swords said:
i think what's messing me up is the fact that there are equations involved. i understand how to do the inverse of a matrix, but I can't seem to connect the dots between the idea of a matrix and how it relates to the given equations.

Try to recognize how the two equations are related to each other.

OK, so the conceptual block is the fact that matrices can be combined with operators to make expressions. The rules are almost the same as with normal algebra. The following is a matrix algebra equation that says a matrix B added to a matrix A equals matrix C:

A + B = C

Matrices can also be multiplied by scalars (meaning each element of the matrix is multiplied by the scalar):

A + 2B = C

Here are examples of an expressions using matrix multiplication (and addition):

AB = C
AB + C = D
A2 = AA
AB = I

In the last case, what can you say about B?

Also, matrix mutliplication is distributive:

A(B + C) = AB + AC

Is none of the above familiar?

I recognize all that. In the last case, B would be equal to the inverse of A. I know there is just something so small that I am missing, and I know I'll feel like an idiot when I see it. do i have to solve for A in the first equation so that I have an A= and a B=? idk I'm just frustrated, this stuff usually comes so easily to me, for the first time I understand what it's like to not be good at math.

Suggestion: solve the first equation for I and factor the opposite side.

Let's just abuse some notation for a minute and say [itex]I[/itex] is [itex]1[/itex]. Carrying this out would give you

[tex]\begin{align*}
& A^3 - 2A^2 +3A - 1 = 0 \\
& A^2 - 2A + 3 = B
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Do you think you can make a simple substitution here?

you can factor out an A from the first equation and be left with A(B) = 1, am I on the right track?

Yes. And what does that tell you about B?

that it's equal to the inverse of A.

Yep. Now you should be in a position to answer the original questions.

okay I want to say I get it but I think my issue here is I don't know what format answer I am looking for. Is the inverse just going to be in the form of an equation as well?

steph_swords said:
okay I want to say I get it but I think my issue here is I don't know what format answer I am looking for. Is the inverse just going to be in the form of an equation as well?

What is wrong with saying that the inverse of B is A? After all, that is what you have just shown, and it does answer the original question completely.

RGV

yeah that would work, I guess it's one of those times the simplest answer is the right answer. thanks for all your help.

From [itex]A^3 - 2A^2 + 3A - I = 0[/itex] we can get [itex]A^3- 2A^2+ 3A= I[/itex] and then [itex]A(A^2- 2A+ 3)= I[/itex]. Do you see the point?

steph_swords said:
you can factor out an A from the first equation and be left with A(B) = 1, am I on the right track?

Yes, you're on the right track, although that should be AB = I.

Now postmultiply both sides by [itex]B^{-1}[/itex].

What is the best way to approach this problem?

The best way to approach this problem is to first clearly define the problem and gather all relevant information. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and brainstorm potential solutions. It may also be helpful to seek advice or assistance from others who may have experience with similar problems.

What steps should I take to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, you can follow a general problem-solving process which includes identifying the problem, gathering information, analyzing the information, developing potential solutions, evaluating the solutions, and implementing the best solution. It may also be helpful to document your process and regularly review and adjust your approach as needed.

What resources can I use to help solve this problem?

There are many resources you can use to help solve this problem. These may include books, articles, online forums, experts in the field, or even colleagues who may have experience with similar problems. It may also be helpful to consult with a mentor or supervisor for guidance and support.

How can I prevent similar problems in the future?

To prevent similar problems in the future, it is important to reflect on the root cause of the problem and identify any underlying issues or patterns. It may also be helpful to implement preventive measures such as setting up systems or processes to catch potential problems early on, regularly reviewing and updating procedures, and seeking feedback from others to identify potential issues.

What can I do if I am unable to solve this problem on my own?

If you are unable to solve this problem on your own, don't be afraid to ask for help. You can seek advice from colleagues, consult with experts in the field, or even consider collaborating with others to find a solution. It is also important to communicate any challenges or roadblocks you may be facing to your supervisor or team to ensure that everyone is on the same page and working towards a solution together.