Modelling Air Resistance using Differential Equation

In summary, ~~Daniel has posted some ideas about how to model air resistance on his blog, and he is looking for feedback. He is assuming that air resistance is consistent, there are no drafts or breezes in the experimental setup, and that the dominant factors influencing air resistance are indicated by the Reynold's Number value.
$id
hi ,

As a part of my project, i am modelling air resistance using a differential equation. For the write up, i need to discuss what assumptions i am making. I have the rest of the coursework sorted out.

I have a few idea .

Air resistance is presumed to be consistent. ( i.e no pressure changes)
There are no drafts or breezes in the experimental setup.

Any others?

sid

Physics news on Phys.org
well i have posted some of ideas already but i was wondering what would be the main sources of errors and assumptions of dropping some paper cups to measure air resistance constant.

You wish to set up a diff.equation.That's okay.There are 2 types of friction forces involved:Stokes type (viscous fluid,small velocities) and drag forces (big velocities)...

So choose the exact type of model (gravity,velocity range) and then set up the diff.eq.

Daniel.

$id said:
hi ,

As a part of my project, i am modelling air resistance using a differential equation. For the write up, i need to discuss what assumptions i am making. I have the rest of the coursework sorted out.
"Air Resistance" (or "Aerodynamic Drag") has been studied extensively. There are several different physical phenomena involved, and the dominant factors are generally indicated by the Reynold's Number value(s) for the experiment. Reynold's Number usually provides indication of the turbulence regime and drag characteristics, and thus the general approaches you can take in studying your problem. Parameters like Drag Coefficient are usually involved in formulating the basic equations. The URLs below discuss these concepts and should help formulate your approach. (Most involve a series of tutorial pages.)
http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/falling.html
http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/me/courses/nmadsen/egr182a/drag01.html
http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/311/notes/fluids2/node8.html
http://astron.berkeley.edu/~jrg/ay202/node21.html

~~

Last edited by a moderator:

What is air resistance?

Air resistance is a force that opposes the motion of an object as it moves through the air. It is caused by the interaction between the object and the molecules in the air.

How is air resistance modelled using differential equations?

Air resistance can be modelled using the differential equation known as the drag equation. This equation relates the air resistance force to the velocity and density of the air, the cross-sectional area of the object, and its shape.

Why is it important to model air resistance using differential equations?

Modelling air resistance using differential equations allows us to accurately predict the behavior of objects moving through the air. This is important in fields such as aerodynamics and engineering, where understanding and controlling air resistance is crucial.

What factors affect the magnitude of air resistance?

The magnitude of air resistance is affected by the velocity of the object, the density of the air, the cross-sectional area and shape of the object, and the roughness of its surface. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

Can air resistance be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate air resistance. However, it can be minimized through careful design and engineering, such as using streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces. In some cases, air resistance can also be reduced by manipulating the properties of the air itself, such as using an airfoil to create lift.