Superposition for dependent sources and Pspice

In summary: For number 4, it looks like you're attempting a Δ-Y transformation (or two?). If so, the numbers don't look right to me. Can you describe the steps you're making?in summary, the student is trying to solve a current problem using a dependent current source but is having difficulty understanding the syntax or format. He has uploaded his work for 3 and 4 and notes that at least one of the current values he found doesn't match values he finds when solving the problem using his own method. For #2, he notes that at least one of the current values doesn't agree with values he finds. For #3, he has a different answer this time. Lastly, for #4, he
DODGEVIPER13

Homework Statement

The problem is uploaded it is problem number 2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really just want confirmation that my work is ok, and the command for a dependent current source in PSpice. The things that I found that are dependent, are very confusing looking things instead of diamonds. I have tried E and F but I don't know how to use them?

Attachments

• Physicsforums18.jpg
    Physicsforums18.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 469
  • Physicsforums17.jpg
    Physicsforums17.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
Check your work for problems 2,3, and 4.

I'm not sure about the syntax or format of the dependent current sources for PSpice; I make use of LTSpice where there are several versions of dependent sources.

ok is there something wrong with them I will upload my work for 3 and 4

Ok my work for 3 and 4 are uploaded

Attachments

• EPSON017.jpg
    EPSON017.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 377
  • EPSON018.jpg
    EPSON018.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 435
3 is on the left and 4 is on the right

2 was already uploaded is there something I specifically did wrong?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
3 is on the left and 4 is on the right

For #2 I just note that at least one of the current values you've found doesn't agree with values I find. I don't recall having seen your detailed work on this problem.

For #3 it looks like you have a different answer this time, although I'm not sure if I'm interpreting your formatting correctly. What, as a number, do you get for the maximum current for Ix?

For #4, it looks like you're attempting a Δ-Y transformation (or two?). If so, the numbers don't look right to me. Can you describe the steps you're making?

for number 2 that is one of ther first I uploaded. For number 3 I find for Ix' using the max power and resistance of each resistor that gives me an Ix' for each resistor. Then I find a Ix'' using voltage and total resistance. Which I then put into an Ix'+Ix''=Ix equation for both the 100 ohm and 25 ohm resistor. When I have done this I get 200mA for the 100 ohm and 100mA to 25 ohm. I then set up the inequalities to solve for the maximum current that should flow before ohmic heating destroys the limiting resistor. The values on the other side of the inequality are found from current dividers formula I25=Ix(Rseries/R100) and I100=Ix(Rseries/R25) the Ix given for I100 the current for the 100 ohm resistor and the 25 ohm resistor only using the Ix for 25 ohm resistor. So when I multiply .2(125/25) I get 1 A or 100mA so Ix<100mA and for the other I get 125 mA the lower number is the limiting so I choose it. For 4 R1=RaRb/(Ra+Rb+Rc), R2=(RbRc)/(Ra+Rb+Rc), and R3=RaRc/(Ra+Rb+Rc). I have marked what I am using for Ra Rb and Rc. I then converted the bottom two resistors 2 ohm and 3 ohm to 32/16 and 48/16 respectivley so that it would make since when I add the R1 and 2 ohm resistor together and the R2 and 3 ohm resistor together. When I do this I get 72/16 for the 2 ohm and R1. 63/16 for the 3 ohm and R2 resistors. The R3 goes on top of the 72/16 and 63/16 which are in parallel. I then put the R3 in series with the 72/16 and 63/16 resistances which gives me a total of 2.1A.

For number for I am doing a delta-y transformation

Wow, a single massive paragraph to wade through...

DODGEVIPER13 said:
for number 2 that is one of ther first I uploaded.
If so I must have missed it. Sorry. Still, the results that you posted on the "answer sheet" don't match what I'm seeing when I solve the problem.
For number 3 I find for Ix' using the max power and resistance of each resistor that gives me an Ix' for each resistor. Then I find a Ix'' using voltage and total resistance. Which I then put into an Ix'+Ix''=Ix equation for both the 100 ohm and 25 ohm resistor. When I have done this I get 200mA for the 100 ohm and 100mA to 25 ohm. I then set up the inequalities to solve for the maximum current that should flow before ohmic heating destroys the limiting resistor. The values on the other side of the inequality are found from current dividers formula I25=Ix(Rseries/R100) and I100=Ix(Rseries/R25) the Ix given for I100 the current for the 100 ohm resistor and the 25 ohm resistor only using the Ix for 25 ohm resistor. So when I multiply .2(125/25) I get 1 A or 100mA so Ix<100mA and for the other I get 125 mA the lower number is the limiting so I choose it.
I don't follow what your Ix'' represents. When you apply an Ix to the circuit, both currents (through the resistors) change. This is because the node voltage where the resistors meet changes. Instead of looking at the maximum currents for each resistor, consider the maximum allowed potential drops across them. That will fix the maximum allowed potential at that node, from which you can then calculate the current Ix that it corresponds to.
For 4 R1=RaRb/(Ra+Rb+Rc), R2=(RbRc)/(Ra+Rb+Rc), and R3=RaRc/(Ra+Rb+Rc). I have marked what I am using for Ra Rb and Rc. I then converted the bottom two resistors 2 ohm and 3 ohm to 32/16 and 48/16 respectivley so that it would make since when I add the R1 and 2 ohm resistor together and the R2 and 3 ohm resistor together. When I do this I get 72/16 for the 2 ohm and R1. 63/16 for the 3 ohm and R2 resistors. The R3 goes on top of the 72/16 and 63/16 which are in parallel. I then put the R3 in series with the 72/16 and 63/16 resistances which gives me a total of 2.1A.
I think you mean 2.1Ω. But that is not correct. Your method looks fine, but something went wrong in your reductions, perhaps in the determination of the parallel resistance.

ok so for number 3 I use the .1A from before and mutiply that by 100 ohm to get 10 volts. and .2A also from before and muiply that by 25 ohm to get 5 volts. so the total potential at the node would be 5 volts because 10-5=5 volts. Am I good so far?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
ok so for number 3 I use the .1A from before and mutiply that by 100 ohm to get 10 volts. and .2A also from before and muiply that by 25 ohm to get 5 volts. so the total potential at the node would be 5 volts because 10-5=5 volts. Am I good so far?

Not quite, but close. The maximum allowable drop across the 100Ω resistor is 10V, and across the 25Ω resistor is 5V. If the drop across the 100Ω resistor is 10V, that would mean the node potential would have to be 2.5V (since there's a 12.5V potential at the other end of the resistor, and 12.5V - 2.5V = 10V across the resistor).

So you have a choice of either 2.5V or 5V for the node voltage. The question then is, which one is produced by the maximum Ix. You should be able to work out Ix for both cases and choose the maximum. Consider applying nodal analysis to determine Ix, where in this case you're starting out knowing the node potential and Ix is the variable.

For number 4 it should be 3.6 ohm correct?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
For number 4 it should be 3.6 ohm correct?

Yes, that looks better :smile:

Ok so doing the nodal analysis for 25 ohm Ix-(5/25)=0 so Ix=.2A. for the other 100 ohm resistor Ix-(10/100)=0 so Ix=.1A. I fear I have done the nodal analysis wrong! Should it be Ix-(2.5/100)=0 so Ix=.025A for the 100 ohm resistor?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ok so doing the nodal analysis for 25 ohm Ix-(5/25)=0 so Ix=.2A. for the other 100 ohm resistor Ix-(10/100)=0 so Ix=.1A. I fear I have done the nodal analysis wrong! Should it be Ix-(2.5/100)=0 so Ix=.025A for the 100 ohm resistor?

You have to include the effect of both sources in your nodal analysis. Suppose Vx is the node voltage (which you'll set to either 2.5V or 5V later), then just write the node equation.

Also I can re upload my work for problem 2 so I can get that fixed up as well?

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Also I can re upload my work for problem 2 so I can get that fixed up as well?

Sure.

Ok so I hope I am not irittating you with my ignorance but here goes my second attempt 2.5+100Ix+25Ix-12.5=0 so Ix=.08A for the 100 ohm. For the 25 ohm resistor 5+125Ix-12.5=0 so Ix=.06A. Once again I fear it is incorrect

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ok so I hope I am not irittating you with my ignorance but here goes my second attempt 2.5+100Ix+25Ix-12.5=0 so Ix=.08A for the 100 ohm. For the 25 ohm resistor 5+125Ix-12.5=0 so Ix=.06A. Once again I fear it is incorrect

Just write the node equation with variable Vx as the node voltage. Solve for Ix. Then you can plug in 2.5V or 5V for Vx and compare the values of Ix.

Ok man do you have any more hints for me I don't see what I am doing wrong. I know that the voltage going into a node is equal to the voltage going out.

Ok nvm I think I found my error using my previous work it should be Ix < 125 mA

However I would still like to proof using your method the reasons I don't get it maybe is because I am going by the books example which is exactly the same except with different numbers.

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Ok man do you have any more hints for me I don't see what I am doing wrong. I know that the voltage going into a node is equal to the voltage going out.

Current. The sum of the currents entering a node is equal to the sum of the currents leaving that node (or more traditionally, the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node is zero).

Have you written node equations before? It's essentially a matter of summing the expressions for the currents of the branches connected to the node by assuming the node voltages at each end of each branch.

ok so on to number 2 because I feel as if I have been going at this too long I need to take a step back from it

Just can't help mysself could I also use mesh analysis on problem 3

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Just can't help mysself could I also use mesh analysis on problem 3

You could, sure. One mesh has an already "solved" current Ix. Determine the currents in the resistors as a function of Ix and then find Ix for the two cases of maximum dissipation. Compare and choose the larger.

ok going to give the mmesh equations a try:
mesh 1: -12.5+100I1+Vx+25(I1-I2)=0
mesh 2: 25(I2-I1)-Vx+Ix=0

In the very least am I getting closer

DODGEVIPER13 said:
ok going to give the mmesh equations a try:
mesh 1: -12.5+100I1+Vx+25(I1-I2)=0
mesh 2: 25(I2-I1)-Vx+Ix=0

There's no node voltage (Vx) in a mesh equation. You want to sum the potential changes around the loops, which occur over components. Also, you don't need to write out an equation for the second mesh -- it's entirely constrained to have current Ix by the current source. You only need the equation for the first mesh.

ok so mesh 1: -12.5+100I1+25(I1-I2)=0

Should I have set 25(I1-I2) = Ix

I1=.1A and I2=.2A

DODGEVIPER13 said:
ok so mesh 1: -12.5+100I1+25(I1-I2)=0

That's okay, but you really don't have to introduce another current variable (I2); You've already got that second mesh current as Ix. (Although note that it is a counterclockwise current, so adjust the resulting potential drop across the shared resistor accordingly).

DODGEVIPER13 said:
Should I have set 25(I1-I2) = Ix

Certainly not. The left hand side is a voltage while the right hand side is a current. Ix is the mesh current; get rid of I2.

<h2>1. What is superposition and how does it apply to dependent sources?</h2><p>Superposition is a principle in circuit analysis that allows us to break down a complex circuit into simpler parts in order to analyze it. This is especially useful when dealing with dependent sources, which are sources whose values are dependent on other circuit parameters. By using superposition, we can analyze each dependent source separately and then combine the results to obtain the overall circuit behavior.</p><h2>2. How do I use Pspice to simulate circuits with dependent sources?</h2><p>Pspice is a popular software tool used for circuit simulation. To simulate circuits with dependent sources, you can use the built-in behavioral sources in Pspice. These sources allow you to define the behavior of a source in terms of other circuit parameters, making it easy to incorporate dependent sources into your circuit simulations.</p><h2>3. Can I use superposition for circuits with multiple dependent sources?</h2><p>Yes, superposition can be applied to circuits with multiple dependent sources. The key is to analyze each dependent source separately while keeping the other sources constant. Then, the results can be combined to obtain the overall circuit behavior. However, this approach can become more complex as the number of dependent sources increases.</p><h2>4. Are there any limitations to using superposition for dependent sources?</h2><p>Superposition can be a powerful tool for analyzing circuits with dependent sources, but it does have some limitations. It assumes that the dependent sources are linear, meaning their behavior can be described by a linear equation. If the dependent sources are non-linear, superposition cannot be used.</p><h2>5. How accurate are the results obtained from using superposition for dependent sources?</h2><p>The accuracy of the results obtained from using superposition for dependent sources depends on the accuracy of the individual analyses of each dependent source. If the analyses are done correctly, the results should be accurate. However, as mentioned before, superposition may not be applicable for circuits with non-linear dependent sources, which can lead to less accurate results.</p>

1. What is superposition and how does it apply to dependent sources?

Superposition is a principle in circuit analysis that allows us to break down a complex circuit into simpler parts in order to analyze it. This is especially useful when dealing with dependent sources, which are sources whose values are dependent on other circuit parameters. By using superposition, we can analyze each dependent source separately and then combine the results to obtain the overall circuit behavior.

2. How do I use Pspice to simulate circuits with dependent sources?

Pspice is a popular software tool used for circuit simulation. To simulate circuits with dependent sources, you can use the built-in behavioral sources in Pspice. These sources allow you to define the behavior of a source in terms of other circuit parameters, making it easy to incorporate dependent sources into your circuit simulations.

3. Can I use superposition for circuits with multiple dependent sources?

Yes, superposition can be applied to circuits with multiple dependent sources. The key is to analyze each dependent source separately while keeping the other sources constant. Then, the results can be combined to obtain the overall circuit behavior. However, this approach can become more complex as the number of dependent sources increases.

4. Are there any limitations to using superposition for dependent sources?

Superposition can be a powerful tool for analyzing circuits with dependent sources, but it does have some limitations. It assumes that the dependent sources are linear, meaning their behavior can be described by a linear equation. If the dependent sources are non-linear, superposition cannot be used.

5. How accurate are the results obtained from using superposition for dependent sources?

The accuracy of the results obtained from using superposition for dependent sources depends on the accuracy of the individual analyses of each dependent source. If the analyses are done correctly, the results should be accurate. However, as mentioned before, superposition may not be applicable for circuits with non-linear dependent sources, which can lead to less accurate results.