Plane wave equation of linear polarization

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the z part of an equation for a superposition of three E fields propagating in the z direction. The E field is not a plane wave and is represented in phasor form. The given expression can be converted to a measurable form with respective amplitudes and phase angles. The ω in ejωt represents a sinusoid of radian frequency, and the overall E field varies with time as cos (ωt).
geft
Question 1

Basically I have no idea how to calculate the z part of the equation since x and y are assumed to be propagating in the z direction.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 431
Physics news on Phys.org
geft said:
Question 1

Basically I have no idea how to calculate the z part of the equation since x and y are assumed to be propagating in the z direction.

Why do you assume it propagates in the z direction? It's just a superposition of three E fields. Not going anywhere.

I may be wrong but according to my textbook E(r,x) is the plane wave where r is the direction of propagation. For E0cos(wt-kz) z seems to be the direction.

geft said:
I may be wrong but according to my textbook E(r,x) is the plane wave where r is the direction of propagation. For E0cos(wt-kz) z seems to be the direction.

Certainly. But your E field is not a plane wave. A plane wave does not have a field component in the direction of propagation.

Thanks, that z component certainly confused me and now I see why. Does that mean I'm unable to convert it to the (wt-kz) format?

geft said:
Thanks, that z component certainly confused me and now I see why. Does that mean I'm unable to convert it to the (wt-kz) format?

Right.

The expression given you is in what are called 'phasors', at least in ac theory. In any case you are apprently expected to know what the exponentials signify.

The expression given you has as its "measurable" equivalent

E_x sin(wt + phi1) + E_y sin(wt + phi2) + E_z sin(wt + phi3)
where the phi are the phase angles associated with each of the three E field components.

(You could also substitute cos for sin here; that is a matter of what is defined as t = 0 and is not an identifiable part of the given equation. The meaning of the three phase angles is really only how they relate to each other. It should be obvious that when you measure this field there is no such thing as "t = 0".)

So can you identify the E_x etc. coefficients and the respective phase angles from the given phasor expression?

So basically phi1 = 30, phi2 = -50 and phi3 = 210; the E_x etc. are the respective amplitudes; and the coefficients.. what coefficient? Wouldn't k be removed since the field is not a plane wave and thus the direction component is 0? I'm not sure how to factor in the frequency either since I think t remains as a variable.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 401
geft said:
So basically phi1 = 30, phi2 = -50 and phi3 = 210; the E_x etc. are the respective amplitudes; and the coefficients.. what coefficient? Wouldn't k be removed since the field is not a plane wave and thus the direction component is 0? I'm not sure how to factor in the frequency either since I think t remains as a variable.

I see you're still hung up on k. There is no k.

Look at the end coefficient ejωt. What does the ω stand for?

2pi.f? Does that mean I should just substitute 100MHz into f to get the final answer? What of t?

geft said:
2pi.f? Does that mean I should just substitute 100MHz into f to get the final answer? What of t?

You should have been taught the meaning of ejωt. It represents a sinusoid of radian frequency ω. If you take the real part of it you get cos(ωt) so you have a time-dependent expression in your E field.

Your E field in summary consists of three components, each with its own amplitude and phase angle, and varying with time as cos (ωt).

And yes, f = ω/2π = 100 MHz here.

Thanks for the help. Yes, I was taught of it but I just wasn't able to make the connection.

1. What is the plane wave equation of linear polarization?

The plane wave equation of linear polarization describes the oscillation of an electromagnetic wave in a specific direction, known as the polarization direction. It is a mathematical representation of the electric field component of the wave and can be written as E = E0cos(kx-ωt), where E0 represents the amplitude of the wave, k is the wave vector, x is the position, and ω is the angular frequency.

2. How is the plane wave equation of linear polarization different from other wave equations?

The plane wave equation of linear polarization is specific to electromagnetic waves and describes the oscillation of the electric field component in a single direction. Other wave equations, such as the wave equation for sound, describe the propagation of pressure or displacement in a medium.

3. What does the wave vector, k, represent in the plane wave equation of linear polarization?

The wave vector, k, represents the direction and magnitude of the wave's propagation. It is perpendicular to the polarization direction and is related to the wavelength of the wave through the equation λ = 2π/k.

4. How does the plane wave equation of linear polarization relate to polarized light?

Polarized light is a specific type of electromagnetic wave that has a fixed polarization direction. The plane wave equation of linear polarization can be used to describe the oscillation of the electric field in this type of light. The amplitude, E0, and the wave vector, k, determine the properties of the polarized light, such as its intensity and direction of polarization.

5. Can the plane wave equation of linear polarization be used to describe all types of electromagnetic waves?

No, the plane wave equation of linear polarization is only applicable to linearly polarized waves. Other types of electromagnetic waves, such as circularly or elliptically polarized waves, have different equations to describe their oscillations. However, the plane wave equation can be used as a building block for more complex equations that describe these types of waves.