Largest interval where solution is continuous

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration with being asked to find the largest interval where a solution is continuous. The concept of "largest" is clarified to mean length rather than cardinality. It is noted that in some cases, the question may be impossible to answer due to the infinite nature of the intervals.
1MileCrash
"Largest interval where solution is continuous"

I have a gripe with the way I am being asked to do this.

I am given a DE and asked to select the "largest interval of t where the solution is continuous."

A: (0,1)
B: (5, infinity)
C: (-2, 0)
D: (-8,14)
Etc

But all intervals of t are obviously the same size. So wtf are they asking? The largest interval assuming I am 12 and don't understand the cardinality of the real numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
1MileCrash said:
I have a gripe with the way I am being asked to do this.

I am given a DE and asked to select the "largest interval of t where the solution is continuous."

A: (0,1)
B: (5, infinity)
C: (-2, 0)
D: (-8,14)
Etc

But all intervals of t are obviously the same size. So wtf are they asking? The largest interval assuming I am 12 and don't understand the cardinality of the real numbers?

First off... what IS the DE? Then I can help perhaps.

I don't recall, this was online homework and I am on my phone. It doesn't really matter. Assume more than one of those choices contains the initial condition and is an interval where the solution is continuous. Then the question has no answer.

I'm looking for an actual way to ask what they want. If I have to say things correct in proofs, I expect questions asked correctly too.

Hi 1MileCrash! :smile:
1MileCrash said:

I 'll guess (without having seen the full question) that the given DE is continuous on only some of those choices.

Once you've found which choices are available, it may be obvious which is the largest one.

How is some interval of reals larger than any other? Any interval of reals containss uncountably infinite members.

[0,3] is obviously larger than [1,2] :confused:

1MileCrash said:
How is some interval of reals larger than any other? Any interval of reals containss uncountably infinite members.

'largest' here doesn't mean cardinality. It means length.

Dick said:
'largest' here doesn't mean cardinality. It means length.

Oh, now I guess we are getting somewhere.

So what about:

(-infinity, -3)
(42000, infinity)

These are the same cardinality and length too, and I had to make the choice in this situation as well.

1MileCrash said:
Oh, now I guess we are getting somewhere.

So what about:

(-infinity, -3)
(42000, infinity)

These are the same cardinality and length too, and I had to make the choice in this situation as well.

No way to choose in that case. Unless the DE isn't continuous on one of them.

I checked and it doesn't look like that situation occurs.

However, the book still instructs me to find the longest interval (with no choices.) While it is clearer because of the use of "longest," this question is still impossible to answer except for some obscure case, I'm sure.

1MileCrash said:
I checked and it doesn't look like that situation occurs.

However, the book still instructs me to find the longest interval (with no choices.) While it is clearer because of the use of "longest," this question is still impossible to answer except for some obscure case, I'm sure.

If the book is really asking you to choose the longest interval between two infinite choices, then obviously, there is no way to choose. Unless one is contained in the other. In which case there is some justification for picking the one that contains the other.

1. What is the definition of continuity in mathematics?

Continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness and unbroken nature of a function or a curve. A function is continuous if it has no sudden jumps or breaks and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

2. How is the largest interval where a solution is continuous determined?

The largest interval where a solution is continuous is determined by finding the points where the function is discontinuous and then identifying the largest interval between these points where the function is continuous. This interval may also be referred to as the "interval of convergence."

3. Can a function be continuous on an infinite interval?

Yes, a function can be continuous on an infinite interval. For example, the function f(x) = 1/x is continuous on the interval (0, infinity). In this case, the interval of convergence is infinite.

4. What is the importance of finding the largest interval where a solution is continuous?

Finding the largest interval where a solution is continuous is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function and its limit at different points. It also allows us to accurately approximate the value of the function within this interval.

5. How does continuity relate to differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts in mathematics. A function is differentiable at a point if it is continuous at that point and has a well-defined tangent line. This means that a function must be continuous in order for it to be differentiable.