Can a foreigner work in American airlines as an engineer?

In summary, the speaker is from China and studying in the US. They are interested in working in the aerospace industry, specifically in airlines or companies focused on civil use. They are unsure if American citizenship is necessary for these positions and plan to contact HR departments for more information on qualifications and immigration issues. They also mention the need for a Green Card and Social Security Number. They are advised to seek help from their employer if a job is offered. Other forum members mention their company's experience with non-US citizens working in aerospace and suggest contacting HR departments directly for accurate information.
dingkun
I'm from China and I am studying AE in University of Illinois in the US. I would like to work in the US after graduate. It's clear that an American citizenship is necessary to find a job in some companies on designing and manufacturing, like Boeing and Locked Martin.
I want to know whether I can work in airlines, for example, Delta, Northwest, United, and some companies only focus on civil use, like Cessna Cirrus,as an engineer without the American citizenship. I look this up on their websites, but they don't say anything about citizenship. Does that mean those companies do not require American citizenship, or its just a tradition, so, they simply don't mention it?

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want to find out what is required, I suggest you contact the Human Resources departments of the various airlines to find out:
1. If they have any positions in which you might be interested.
2. What qualifications are required for the particular position.
3. What citizenship/immigration issues might apply to you if you are hired.

Whether or not American citizenship will be a requirement for employment, you probably will need to get a 'Green Card' in order to be able to work in the US, since you will not be permitted to work on a student visa unless you get prior approval. You will also need to get a Social Security Number for use on various tax forms.

In any event, I suggest that if a job is offered, you ask your new employer for help in navigating the US CIS bureaucracy.

My company (not an airline company, but heavily involved in aerospace) has had a few non US citizens working for them over the last few years.

There are restrictions which programs they can work on and where in the company facilities they're allowed to go, but they have non ITAR sensitive programs they're allowed to work.

I will second what SteamKing said: Your best bet is to contact the HR departments directly with your questions, rather than get second-hand opinions from a web forum.

1. Can a foreigner work in American airlines as an engineer?

Yes, a foreigner can work in American airlines as an engineer. American airlines, like many other companies in the United States, are open to hiring qualified individuals from other countries. However, there may be certain requirements and restrictions that need to be met in order to obtain a work visa.

2. What qualifications are needed to work as an engineer in American airlines?

The qualifications needed to work as an engineer in American airlines will vary depending on the specific position. Generally, a degree in engineering or a related field and relevant work experience are required. The individual must also have legal work authorization in the United States.

3. Do I need to be a US citizen to work as an engineer in American airlines?

No, you do not need to be a US citizen to work as an engineer in American airlines. However, as mentioned before, you will need to have legal work authorization in the United States, which may include a work visa or permanent residency status.

4. Are there any language requirements to work in American airlines as an engineer?

There are no specific language requirements to work in American airlines as an engineer. However, since English is the primary language used in the workplace and for communication with other team members, fluency in English may be necessary for the job.

5. Are there any cultural differences I should be aware of when working as an engineer in American airlines?

Yes, there may be some cultural differences to be aware of when working as an engineer in American airlines, especially if you are coming from a different country. It is important to be open-minded, respectful, and willing to learn and adapt to the culture of the company and the United States in general.