Writing a sizable SF novel.

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the author of this conversation is a pilot turned author who has written a 700-page sci-fi novel called "The Perfect Code." They are disappointed with the slow sales of their book and have reached out to other authors for advice and support. They are open to constructive criticism and are hopeful that their book will eventually gain recognition.
Rob Benham
Firstly, it's darn hard work, and any notion I had about overtaking Crawford's, Lights Out, have been dealt a painful blow. He became a multimillionaire in the time it takes the photons leaving your monitor to pass the end of your nose. Well, so it's said.

I talked at length to Richard Phillips, the author of The Rho Agenda. I loved the opening of the first book, The Second Ship, and would love to learn the first ship had really been secreted away after the Roswell incident in 1947. A solid SF premise for a series that seems to be selling consistently over a long period.

The launch of my, The Perfect Code on e-books has been somewhat slow to say the least. The odd thing is that some folk write that they have read all 700 pages twice. There are a few questions left unanswered in the first book, hopefully questions tantalizing enough to prompt a re-read and a little discussion.

I would love to hear from SF enthusiasts that have more than a passing interest in physics, though a first mention on this forum seemed to indicate that some readers are not willing to spend much time at funerals. :frown:

From a promotional blurb:

A Sci-fi novel by airline pilot turned author. There is plenty of flying, but the 700 page first part suggests two creational hypotheses that are as astonishing as they are imaginative.

When Boeing captain William Grant hears an odd question in his headphones, he is too preoccupied with a storm to take much notice. Later that night the same voice enters his mind as he fights for his life in burning wreckage.

The beings monitoring the development of the human race have been close by for millennia. Despite possessing very advanced technology, they occasionally seek out gifted human minds. When Will is offered a chance to serve he readily accepts—the alternative not tempting him for a moment.

Only their commander knows there is more to the soul of William Grant than her team can be told, but even she has to come to terms with Will’s unbreakable love for his widow.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0G7DNC/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I'd again like to hear from anyone willing to make constructive criticism. The wonderful thing about Kindle etc., is the ability to edit. [[ e-mail address removed by Moderators ]]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry Captain, thread is closed temporarily for Moderation...

Hi there,

I can definitely understand how disheartening it can be when your work doesn't receive the recognition or success you were hoping for. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to write a book, especially a 700-page one, so it's natural to feel disappointed when it doesn't take off right away.

I haven't read your book yet, but I am intrigued by the premise and the fact that you are a pilot turned author. It seems like you have a unique perspective to bring to the sci-fi genre. However, I do have a few suggestions based on your post.

Firstly, I noticed that you mentioned the success of other books and authors, such as Crawford's and Lights Out, and how it has been a blow to your own aspirations. While it's natural to compare yourself to others, I would caution against letting it affect your confidence and motivation. Every author's journey is different and success can come at different times for different people. Keep focused on your own work and don't let the success of others discourage you.

Secondly, I think it's great that you have reached out to other authors, such as Richard Phillips, for advice and support. Networking and building relationships with other authors can be very beneficial for your career. However, I would suggest not comparing your book to his or anyone else's. Each book is unique and should stand on its own merit.

Lastly, I would recommend focusing on promoting your book in a positive light rather than mentioning any disappointments or slow sales. While it's important to be honest and open about your experiences, highlighting the positive aspects of your book and what makes it stand out can be more effective in attracting readers.

I wish you all the best with your book and hope that it receives the recognition it deserves. Keep writing and never give up on your passion for storytelling.

1. What makes a science fiction novel "sizable"?

A sizable science fiction novel is typically considered to be at least 80,000 words in length. This is the standard length for most novels in the publishing industry, and it allows for enough depth and complexity to fully explore the science fiction world and its concepts.

2. How do you come up with ideas for a sizable SF novel?

Ideas for science fiction novels can come from a variety of sources, including current scientific advancements, societal issues, or even personal experiences. It's important to have a strong and unique central concept that can be developed into a full-length novel.

3. How do you create believable and consistent science fiction worlds?

Creating believable and consistent science fiction worlds involves thorough world-building. This includes developing a detailed history, geography, culture, and technology for the world. It's important to establish logical rules and stick to them throughout the story.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a sizable SF novel?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a science fiction novel include relying too heavily on technology as a plot device, neglecting character development, and not considering the social and cultural implications of the science fiction elements in the story. It's also important to avoid info-dumping and to show, rather than tell, the world and its concepts to the reader.

5. How can I make my sizable SF novel stand out from others in the genre?

To make your science fiction novel stand out, try to bring a unique perspective or twist to common science fiction tropes. Focus on developing well-rounded and relatable characters, and incorporate thought-provoking themes and social commentary. It's also important to have a strong and engaging plot that keeps readers hooked until the very end.