Softwares for mechanical engineering

In summary: If you want straightforward (even simple) packages, commercial, otherwise freeware with typically "some" limitations in usability etc.
mans
some one please recommend me some good softwares for auto n aero designing...please please if ne one has ne knowlegde regarding dis...please help me out

Computer science news on Phys.org
AutoCAD, ProE, SolidEdge, FEM, etc

What is the exact purpose of the software?

Alibre is also a good, inexpensive 3D modeling software.

I recently had the pleasure of playing with Inventor (made by autodesk). I liked it a lot. It was easy to use and the design aspect was more intuitive than UG (I use NX2 mostly).

Are you looking for some sort of analysis software? Look at MCS Adams or any of their other software. It takes a while to learn how to use (my opinion on the UI is that they took the worst parts of UNIX and M$ and combined it all into on crappy interface); however, once you figure it out you'll have access to a lot of good data.

Are you looking for finite element analysis software (google FEA and you'll get more info than I can share here myself)?

Are you looking for lincage design software? There are only a couple of packages available as far as I know that do this--One is called Sam the other is WATT and there is a third call lincages. The last is more of educational use but you could use it to aid in lincage development.

Oh, another CAD package--can't forget this-- I use quite a bit is solidworks. Real easy to use.

If you need software more for manufacturing and design then UG might be good for you. UG has a design suite as well as a manufacturing suite. UG integrates with IDEAS and can be used in conjunction with Adams for design and analysis.

There are probably 47092387409238714 programs available for ME's; however, pointing you toward one is a little tough unless you tell us what you need the software for.

IFER has a good characterization from where you can first go through public domain stuff for different purposes and the "move up" the ladder :

http://www.engr.usask.ca/~macphed/finite/fe_resources/fe_resources.html

Suppose the question is whether you want straightforward (even simple) packages -> commercial, or want to go with the no cost option -> freeware with typically "some" limitations in usability etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the commonly used softwares in mechanical engineering?

The most commonly used softwares in mechanical engineering are AutoCAD, SolidWorks, CATIA, ANSYS, and MATLAB.

2. What is the purpose of using softwares in mechanical engineering?

The purpose of using softwares in mechanical engineering is to aid in the design, analysis, and simulation of mechanical systems and components. These softwares help engineers visualize and test their designs before manufacturing, saving time and resources.

3. Are there any free or open-source softwares available for mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are several free or open-source softwares available for mechanical engineering such as FreeCAD, OpenFOAM, and Scilab. These softwares offer similar features to their paid counterparts, making them a great option for students and small businesses.

4. Can softwares be used for both 2D and 3D designs in mechanical engineering?

Yes, most softwares used in mechanical engineering offer capabilities for both 2D and 3D design. This allows engineers to create detailed drawings and models of their designs in both 2D and 3D formats.

5. How important is it for mechanical engineers to have knowledge of various softwares?

In today's digital world, it is essential for mechanical engineers to have knowledge of various softwares. These softwares have become an integral part of the design process and having proficiency in them can greatly enhance an engineer's productivity and efficiency.