Bathroom Library: National Geographic, Hotrod Mag, Campground Guide & Comics

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reading
In summary, Ben Schott's Schott's Original Miscellany is the best toilet book ever. It has information on clouds, hazchem plates, egg sizes, conkers, palmistry, and cannon firing procedures.
hypatia
Whats in your bathroom Library?

Mine has the last 3 issues of National Geographic, several old copies of Hotrod mag., the Michigan state campground guide and several superhero comic books.

Physics news on Phys.org
Playbo*Ahhem, cough cough* New Scientist! :biggrin:

I rarely read while in the bathroom. I do, however, proofread essays in the bathroom: Sitting naked on the toilet is a great way to clear your mind and proofread effectively.

I sing out loud: I Love A Parade

Uncle John's Ass-Inspiring Bathroom Reader
Current issue of Wired magazine
The occasional unfinished crossword puzzle from our daily paper

We have found the bathroom is a great place to use our minds among other things.

I need to update my library, I've already read all of these once. I have "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Einstein", "A Taste of Ancient Rome", "Eleanor of Aquitane and the Four Kings", "The Essential Calvin and Hobbes" and "The Far Side Gallery".

No better time to read than in the bathroom. :shy:

I still do not understand how anyone can read while they're taking a crap! Don't you just want to get out of the bathroom faster? :confused: :tongue:

I do most of my reading on-line, and though it's a wireless system, no--it's not going to happen. If I'm going to read a novel, that calls for a comfortable sofa or bed. I reserve certain reading material for waiting rooms. At my last Dr. appt. I read about the Hobbit people that have been discovered. For other appointments, for example, going for a hair appointment, I have designated this as "garbage" time. Last time I was reading GQ and I ended up reading an article about gay politicians--oh yeh, and about what men like in a woman. I think that is the hook on all those magazines every month, isn't it?! :bugeye:

yomamma said:
I still do not understand how anyone can read while they're taking a crap! Don't you just want to get out of the bathroom faster? :confused: :tongue:

I second this, actually...I really don't get it.

yomamma said:
Hey, my dad would take the sunday paper into the bathroom and not come out for an hour. :tongue:

cepheid said:
I second this, actually...I really don't get it.
Reading relaxes you and helps you make a less strained dump. :rolleyes: Perhaps you lead a stress free life.

Evo said:
Reading relaxes you and helps you make a less strained dump. :rolleyes: Perhaps you lead a stress free life.

Less strained and stress free..hmm...well let's see, there are the seven courses at university (thank god the semester's over), between that and the crappy college diet...I'd say...time to look into putting some literature in the washroom

:rofl:

cepheid said:
Less strained and stress free..hmm...well let's see, there are the seven courses at university (thank god the semester's over), between that and the crappy college diet...I'd say...time to look into putting some literature in the washroom

:rofl:
You'll thank me when you don't develop hemorrhoids. :tongue:

Here is another Crackpot Theory. Reading in the bathroom is more prevalent for men then women because they eat terrible things. Second, reading in the bathroom is more prevalent for people of either gender in search of private, quite time. Either way, if they read too long it will cut off their circulation, causing them to rejoin society what ever the conditions may be. :rofl:

I was in a training class once for work and the instructor (known company-wide to be hilarious) was explaining that sometimes we need to slow down in order to do a better job. He used the analogy that no matter how bad you need to go, you manage to stop and pick up a magazine first.

The best toilet book ever has to be Schott's Original Miscellany, by Ben Schott, Bloomsbury, ISBN 0-7475-6320-9.

Selected gems include discussion of cloud types, hazchem plates, egg sizes, conkers, palmistry, and cannon firing procedures.

I don't have a bathroom library. Whatever I'm reading follows me wherever I go, so no need to have anything special cluttering up the bathroom. I also find it's a good place to sort through junk mail.

cepheid said:
Less strained and stress free..hmm...
Sounds like a beer commercial (more taste, less filling). :rofl:
brewnog said:
The best toilet book ever has to be Schott's Original Miscellany, by Ben Schott, Bloomsbury, ISBN 0-7475-6320-9.

Selected gems include discussion of cloud types, hazchem plates, egg sizes, conkers, palmistry, and cannon firing procedures.
Wow--I don't know how to classify this.

I should've known it was just a matter of time before we'd get on a topic like this.

Wasn't it Pogo Possum who said 'Sometimes ah sits and thinks... and sometimes ah just sits'?

Moonbear said:
...I also find it's a good place to sort through junk mail.
:rofl: And maybe the junk mail comes in handy when there's no paper? :rofl:

SOS2008 said:
:rofl: And maybe the junk mail comes in handy when there's no paper? :rofl:

Nah, they never make the junk mail out of absorbent paper, it's always that shiny, scratchy stuff. :rofl: It does prevent impulse buying if you only leaf through catalogs while on the toilet.

Moonbear said:
...It does prevent impulse buying if you only leaf through catalogs while on the toilet.
:rofl: LOL :rofl:

I think you all spend way too much time in the bathroom. Now let me see...what does this imply...? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I think you all spend way too much time in the bathroom. Now let me see...what does this imply...? :biggrin:
That they're lousy cooks?

For me, studying in a washroom can be highly effective. Especially when I need to memorize the terribly long names of micro-organisms and drugs. Don't you think so? :tongue2: When you're studying Vibrio Cholera, think of rice water stool. When you have diarrhoea, you can think of the possible micro-organisms or diseases which can cause diarrhoea(watery diarrhoea or just loose stool). :wink:

I have ALL of Calvin and Hobbes books. Although, i wouldn't really classify it as a library..

Especially love 'its a magical world' :shy:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Nah, we're just a lot of "potty mouths." :tongue:

1. What is a "Bathroom Library"?

A "Bathroom Library" is a collection of reading materials that are typically kept in a bathroom for people to read while using the toilet or taking a bath. It often includes a variety of magazines, books, and comics to suit different interests.

2. Why are National Geographic, Hotrod Mag, Campground Guide, and Comics commonly found in Bathroom Libraries?

These types of reading materials are popular choices for Bathroom Libraries because they are typically short and easy to read, making them perfect for quick bathroom breaks. They also cover a wide range of topics and interests, providing something for everyone.

3. Is it sanitary to keep reading materials in the bathroom?

As long as the reading materials are regularly cleaned and replaced, it is generally considered sanitary to keep them in the bathroom. It is important to keep them in a designated area away from the toilet and to wash your hands after using them.

4. Can Bathroom Libraries be beneficial for mental stimulation?

Yes, Bathroom Libraries can provide a brief escape from daily stress and can stimulate the mind through reading. It can also be a fun and entertaining way to pass the time while using the bathroom.

5. How can I create my own Bathroom Library?

To create your own Bathroom Library, you can gather a variety of reading materials that interest you and your household. You can also ask your family and friends to contribute their old magazines and books. Consider keeping a small basket or rack in the bathroom to store the reading materials and make sure to regularly clean and replace them.