Cattle mutilations and Mad Cow disease: A paper from NIDS

In summary, there is a correlation between animal mutilation and the emergence of a Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) epidemic in North America.Predictions arise from the theory that mutilations will be followed, years or even decades later, by a TSE outbreak.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Unexplained Cattle Deaths and the
Emergence of a Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE)
Epidemic in North America
National Institute for Discovery Science
4975 South Polaris Ave.
Las Vegas, NV 89118
nids@anv.net

Abstract
We present evidence that a correlation exists between reports of animal mutilation and the emergence of a Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) epidemic in North America...

There are several predictions that arise out of the animal mutilation-prion monitoring hypothesis, since the evidence seems to suggest that mutilations will be followed, years or even decades later, by a TSE outbreak:

(a) That a rather large outbreak of CWD/TSE will occur in the area around Great Falls Montana in the next several years.

(b) Similar large outbreaks will occur in Argentina and in Northern New Mexico in the next few years (the first six cases of CWD were found on and near White Sands missile ground October 2002-February 2003).

(c) In the next year or two, there will be an unambiguous link drawn between CWD and sporadic CJD in humans in the United States.

(d) Even though the state of California has mandated a ban on importing elk and deer from other states, the highly intense animal mutilation (>30 animals mutilated in 5 years) cluster on and near a ranch in N. California, predicts an outbreak of CWD/TSE in northern California in 5-10 years.

(e) In the coming years, as new methods for distinguishing CJD from Alzheimer’s comes on line, there will be a dramatic increase in the incidence of “sporadic” CJD in the population of the United States.

Please see the pdf file for the complete report:
http://216.128.67.116/pdf/cattledeaths_tse_epidemic.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, actually making a prediction based on the theory. That's good, now it can be tested. I am suprised about the statement that the first cases of Mad Cow were found near Whitesands; I thought the first case was detected in England.

Originally posted by LURCH
Wow, actually making a prediction based on the theory. That's good, now it can be tested. I am suprised about the statement that the first cases of Mad Cow were found near Whitesands; I thought the first case was detected in England.
That's because CWD (chronic wasting disease) is not the same as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, although both are what is called TSE (transmissible spongiform encephalopathy) CWD is only found in deer and elk, as far as I know.

I notice the paper has references at the end with several references dated in 2002, last year. Well in 2002 there was already a heavy CWD outbreak in Montana and other mountain States. So the great prediction is not one, as far as I can see.

This thread is from 2003 and no longer meets the posting guidelines for the forum.

i.e. NIDS may only be used for anecdotal claims.

1. What is the connection between cattle mutilations and Mad Cow disease?

According to the paper from NIDS, there is no conclusive evidence to suggest a direct connection between cattle mutilations and Mad Cow disease. However, some theories suggest that the same factors that contribute to Mad Cow disease, such as environmental toxins or genetic mutations, may also be responsible for the unexplained mutilations of cattle.

2. What is NIDS and how does it relate to this research?

NIDS, or the National Institute for Discovery Science, is a privately funded research organization that focuses on studying anomalous phenomena and unexplained mysteries. In this paper, NIDS conducted a study on the possible link between cattle mutilations and Mad Cow disease in order to shed light on this controversial topic.

3. What are some common signs of Mad Cow disease in cattle?

Some common signs of Mad Cow disease in cattle include changes in behavior, difficulty walking, weight loss, and decreased milk production. However, these symptoms can also be indicative of other diseases, so it is important to consult a veterinarian for a proper diagnosis.

4. Are there any potential health risks for humans from consuming meat from cattle affected by Mad Cow disease?

According to the paper from NIDS, there is a potential risk of acquiring a human form of Mad Cow disease, known as variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD), from consuming meat from infected cattle. However, strict regulations and safety measures have been put in place to prevent contaminated meat from entering the food supply, greatly reducing the risk to humans.

5. What is the current state of research on this topic?

The paper from NIDS was published in 2002 and since then, there have been ongoing studies and research on the link between cattle mutilations and Mad Cow disease. While there is still no conclusive evidence, scientists continue to investigate potential causes and connections between these two phenomena.