Can a Spinning Annular Wing Model Plane Fly?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the possibility of building a Spinning Annular Wing Model Plane for a contest, with the question of whether it would fly, where the engine would be placed, and if it would have a landing gear. The potential use of annular wings for aircraft was discussed, with the mention of a similar design called the Channelwing.
chaosseeker
So, I'm in college studying Aerospace Engineering and I'm going to enter a contest of airplane models. Summing it up, I would like to know if anyone can give any insight on if it is possible (at a reasonable price) to make a Spinning Annular Wing Model Plane (i don't really know if the name is right). Something along this lines: http://www.google.com/patents/US3065932 .
Would it fly? Where would put the engine? And something like a landing gear?
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Annular wing aircraft have a history, especially in France, where full scale prototypes were built in the 1950s by SNECMA. See: http://falkeeinsgreatplanes.blogspot.com/2011/01/coleoptere-circular-wing-vertical-take.html

Spinning annular wings is a bit different, more like a ducted fan. The design you reference does not seem to spin the wings, as the engines seem built into the duct and spinning the duct does not help produce lift.
You might also google the Channelwing for a high lift partly annular design.

1. What is a Spinning Annular Wing Model?

A Spinning Annular Wing Model is an experimental aircraft design that utilizes a circular wing that rotates on its axis to generate lift and propulsion.

2. How does a Spinning Annular Wing Model work?

The circular wing rotates at high speeds, creating an area of low pressure on the top and high pressure on the bottom, resulting in lift. The rotation also creates a swirling effect that helps propel the aircraft forward.

3. What are the advantages of a Spinning Annular Wing Model?

One advantage is that it can achieve high lift-to-drag ratios, making it more efficient than traditional aircraft designs. It also has the potential for vertical takeoff and landing and improved maneuverability.

4. What are the limitations of a Spinning Annular Wing Model?

One limitation is that it requires a lot of power to maintain the rotation of the wing. It also has a more complex design and may be more difficult to control compared to traditional aircraft.

5. What are the potential applications of a Spinning Annular Wing Model?

The Spinning Annular Wing Model has potential applications in military aircraft, unmanned aerial vehicles, and as a replacement for traditional helicopters. It may also have uses in vertical takeoff and landing aircraft for commercial and personal transportation.