A ray of light through a prism

In summary, the task is to find the index of refraction of a right-angle prism for two different wavelengths, given that the light ray in air strikes the prism at an angle of 28.0∘ and splits into two rays that diverge by 8.50∘. The equations used are n1sinΘ1=n2sinΘ2 and Snell's law. The angles for n1 and n2 are 74 and 82.5, and the incident angle is 62. The index of refraction for the right-angle prism is not known, but can be calculated using Snell's law for each of the two rays.
ghostops

Homework Statement

A light ray in air strikes the right-angle prism shown in the figure (Figure 1) (∠B=28.0∘). This ray consists of two different wavelengths. When it emerges at face AB, it has been split into two different rays that diverge from each other by 8.50∘ .

Find the index of refraction of the prism for each of the two wavelengths.
Enter your answers in ascending order separated by a comma.

Homework Equations

nasinΘa=nbsinΘb

The Attempt at a Solution

From the Normal I determined that the angles for n1 and n2 are 74 and 82.5. However I am running into the issue of where to go from here Also the angle for the incident angle is 62.

I did not know what the index is for the Right angle prism I used 1.5 for glass for it orginally and out with the values 1.38 (74)and 1.34 (82.5). however those were not the correct values.

I do not know where to go from here

thank you in advance

Attachments

• PHys homework 1.png
    PHys homework 1.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,170
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, ghostops.

ghostops said:
1. The problem statement
Find the index of refraction of the prism for each of the two wavelengths.

Homework Equations

nasinΘa=nbsinΘb

The Attempt at a Solution

From the Normal I determined that the angles for n1 and n2 are 74 and 82.5. ... Also the angle for the incident angle is 62.

Your numbers look good to me.

I did not know what the index is for the Right angle prism... I used 1.5 for glass for it

I believe this is what the question is asking you to calculate. Try setting up Snell's law for the ray corresponding to the 12o angle in the picture. Then repeat for the other ray.

1. What is a prism?

A prism is a transparent optical element with flat, polished surfaces that refracts light. It is typically made of glass or plastic and is used to split white light into its component colors.

2. How does a prism split white light?

When light enters a prism, it is refracted or bent at different angles depending on its wavelength. This causes the colors of the visible spectrum to separate, with red being the least refracted and violet being the most refracted.

3. What is the name of the phenomenon that causes light to split in a prism?

The phenomenon that causes light to split in a prism is called dispersion. It is a result of the different wavelengths of light traveling at different speeds through the prism.

4. What is the shape of the rainbow created by a prism?

The rainbow created by a prism is typically in the shape of a long, narrow band with red at one end and violet at the other. This is because the colors are arranged in order of increasing wavelength, with red having the longest wavelength and violet having the shortest.

5. How is a prism used in scientific experiments?

Prisms are commonly used in scientific experiments to separate and analyze the components of light. They are also used in spectroscopy, which is the study of the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation, to identify the chemical composition of substances.