Rigid Body Rotation: Proving/Disproving \vec{R'} Direction

In summary, the conversation discusses a conjecture about the direction of a tube pinned at both ends and inclined in the x-y plane. The conversation also includes equations and an attempt at a solution to prove or disprove the conjecture. The conclusion is that the conjecture is disproved by a counterexample and the attempted solution is inconclusive.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

This is not a HW problem, but something I am trying to prove/disprove for my own knowledge. I have a tube pinned at both ends and inclined in the x-y plane. The pin locations can both move freely in space but subject to the constraint that the tube will not stretch or contract.

Assuming that the top of the tube displaces by [itex]\vec{u}^{top}[/itex] and the bottom displaces by [itex]\vec{u}^{bot}[/itex] we end up with a tube that has been rotated and translated in space.

Let the [itex]\vec{R}[/itex] be the vector directed along the tube centerline (CL) from bottom-pin to top-pin and let [itex]\vec{R'}[/itex] be the new tube CL after translation & rotation.

I am conjecturing that the direction of [itex]\vec{R'}[/itex] is that same the direction of the "relative displacement vector" shown below in (1):

[itex]\vec{u}= (u^{top}_x - u^{bot}_x )_x + (u^{top}_y - u^{bot}_y )_y\qquad(1)[/itex]

i.e., I am thinking that:

direction([itex]\vec{R'}[/itex]) = direction([itex]\vec{u})\qquad(2)[/itex]

Homework Equations

Vector Rules/Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having a little trouble starting this one off. That could very well be because it is not true, we'll have to find out.

We can write (2) as:

[itex]\tan^{-1}\frac{R'_y}{R'_x} = \tan^{-1}\frac{u_y}{u_x}[/itex]

so that the ratios must be equal in order to be true:

[itex]\frac{R'_y}{R'_x} =\frac{u_y}{u_x}\qquad(3)[/itex]

EDIT:
If we let the bottom pin of R be at the origin, we can write:

[itex]
\vec{R'} = R'_x + R'_y
[/itex]

[itex]
\Rightarrow \vec{R'} = (R_x +u^{top}_x) - u^{bot}_x)_x + (R_y + u^{top}_y) - u^{bot}_y)_y
[/itex]

OR

[itex]
\Rightarrow \vec{R'} = (R_x +(u^{top}_x - u^{bot}_x))_x + (R_y + (u^{top}_y - u^{bot}_y))_y
\qquad(4)[/itex]

(4) is as far as I seem to get. I am not sure if I made any errors or if there is a way to show that:

[tex]
\frac{(R_y + (u^{top}_y - u^{bot}_y))}{(R_x +(u^{top}_x - u^{bot}_x))} =\frac{R'_y}{R'_x}
[/tex]

Any thoughts?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you can disprove your conjecture by contradiction immediately, assuming:

[itex]
\vec{u}^{top} = a\hat{x} = \vec{u}^{bot}
[/itex]

[itex]
\text{where } a\in\mathbb{R}
[/itex]

This would give [itex]\vec{u}=0[/itex] and:

[itex]
\vec{R}=\vec{R}'
[/itex]

Which means [itex]\vec{R}'[/itex] does not share the same direction as [itex]\vec{u}[/itex]. Your equation in (4) I believe is correct however.

EDIT: I assumed "detached" vectors which are free to move through space.

What is rigid body rotation?

Rigid body rotation is a type of motion in which an object rotates around a fixed axis without any deformation or change in shape.

How is rigid body rotation different from general rotation?

Rigid body rotation is a special case of general rotation where the distance between any two points on the rotating object remains constant. In general rotation, the distance between points can change due to deformation or stretching of the object.

Can rigid body rotation be proven or disproven?

Yes, rigid body rotation can be proven or disproven through mathematical calculations and physical experiments. If the object rotates around a fixed axis without any deformation, it can be considered a rigid body rotation. However, if there is any change in shape or deformation, it is not a rigid body rotation.

What is the direction of angular velocity in rigid body rotation?

The direction of angular velocity in rigid body rotation is perpendicular to the plane of rotation and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you curl your fingers in the direction of rotation, your thumb will point in the direction of angular velocity.

Can the direction of \vec{R'} in rigid body rotation be changed?

No, the direction of \vec{R'} in rigid body rotation cannot be changed as it is always perpendicular to the plane of rotation and follows the right-hand rule. It is a fundamental property of rigid body rotation.