Mass of planet expressed as multiple of earth's mass

In summary: I'll make sure to do it next time.In summary, the mass of Planet X is 1/9 of Earth's mass, given that its diameter is 1/3 of Earth's and the gravitational acceleration on its surface is 2g. This is calculated using the equation F=G\frac{m1m2}{r^2}.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

On the surface of Planet X, the gravitational acceleration is 2g. If the diameter of Planet X is 1/3 that of Earth's, what is the mass of Planet X, expressed as a multiple of Earth's mass?

Homework Equations

[itex] F=G\frac{m1m2}{r^2} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

let Mx = mass of planet x, Me = mass of earth, Rx = radius of planet x and Re = radius of planet earth. the diameter of planet x is 2Rx and the diameter of Earth is 2Re.
[itex] 2Rx = \frac{2Re}{3} [/itex]
[itex] Rx = \frac{Re}{3} [/itex]

we have

[itex] a = \frac{GMx}{Rx^2} = \frac{GMx}{(\frac{Re}{3})^2} = \frac{9GMx}{Re^2} = 2g [/itex]

since 2g = [itex] \frac{2GMe}{Re^2} [/itex] we have

[itex] \frac{9GMx}{Re^2} = \frac{2GMe}{Re^2} [/itex]

[itex] GMx = \frac{2GMe}{9} [/itex]

[itex] Mx = \frac{2Me}{9} [/itex]

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks fine, I recommend using subscripts with [itex]Rx[/itex]. In LaTeX it is just an underscore followed by the letter:

R_x is [itex]R_x[/itex].

But the problem you have done correctly.

Likes 1 person
Agreed. The solution is correct. I also second the need to use subscripts correctly. This kind of thing is more important than what most people realize. Skipping the use of subscripts in an equation is like omitting proper punctuation. People might still understand what you mean, but it's wrong nevertheless.

Likes 1 person
Ahh ok thanks guys. Sorry about the subscript thing I usually do them when i write it on paper i just didn't know how to do it here.

Yes, your solution is correct. The mass of Planet X is 2/9 times the mass of Earth. This means that Planet X is significantly less massive than Earth, as it would take approximately 9 Planet Xs to equal the mass of Earth. This information would be valuable for further studies on the composition and formation of Planet X, as well as its potential habitability for life forms.

1. What does it mean to express a planet's mass as a multiple of Earth's mass?

Expressing a planet's mass as a multiple of Earth's mass is a way of comparing the mass of one planet to another. It is a unitless measure that represents how many times larger or smaller a planet's mass is compared to Earth's mass.

2. How is the mass of a planet determined?

The mass of a planet is determined by measuring the gravitational pull it exerts on objects around it, such as moons or satellites. This measurement is then compared to the gravitational pull of Earth to calculate the planet's mass.

3. What is Earth's mass and how is it used as a reference point?

Earth's mass is approximately 5.972 × 10^24 kilograms. It is used as a reference point because it is a well-known and easily measurable value. Comparing the mass of other planets to Earth's mass allows for a better understanding of their relative sizes.

4. How do scientists use the mass of a planet to study its composition?

The mass of a planet is an important factor in determining its composition. By comparing a planet's mass to its volume, scientists can calculate its density, which provides clues about its internal structure and composition.

5. Can the mass of a planet change over time?

Yes, the mass of a planet can change over time due to various factors such as collisions with other objects, loss of atmosphere, or accumulation of material from debris. However, these changes are usually very small and do not significantly affect the planet's overall mass.