Find output voltage as a function of time

In summary: Node b:i10pF = i20kVb*(jωC) = \frac{V_b-V_a}{20k}Vb*(jωC) = \frac{5-V_a}{20k}The expression for voltage on the + input is Va = 5-j and Vo = 95+j24.
zealeth

Homework Statement

The op amp in the circuit seen in the figure is ideal. Find the steady-state expression for vo(t). vg = 1cos(106t) V. Express your answer in terms of t, where t is in microseconds. Enter the phase angle in radians.

Hints: (1) Let the node above the capacitor be Node a, and the node at the inverting (i.e., minus) input be Node b. (2) Write KCL equations at Node a and at Node b. Hints: This gives equations in terms of Va and Vo. Also note that the 40 K-Ohms load resistor is not part of the equations

Figure_P09.67.jpg

Homework Equations

Current = 0 into input terminals of op amp
ZC = 1/(jωC), where j=[itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex]
KCL
V = IZ

The Attempt at a Solution

Vg is given in the format: v(t) = Vmaxcos(ωt+ø), where ω is the frequency and ø is the phase angle.

Vb = 5V

For KCL, ∑ientering = ∑ileaving

Node a:
i100kΩ + i20kΩ = i5kΩ + i100pF

Using V=IZ,

[itex]\frac{V_o - V_a}{100k}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{V_b - V_a}{20k}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{V_a - V_g}{5k}[/itex] + Va*(jωC)

[itex]\frac{V_o - V_a}{100k}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{5 - V_a}{20k}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{V_a-1}{5k}[/itex] + Va*j*10^6*100*10^(-12)

Node b:
i10pF = i20k

Vb*(jωC) = [itex]\frac{V_b-V_a}{20k}[/itex]
Vb*(jωC) = [itex]\frac{5-V_a}{20k}[/itex]

Solving, I get Va = 5-j and Vo = 95+j24

Converting Vo to polar, Vo = 98∠14.2° V
Converting to radians, Vo = 98∠0.25 V
Putting this in terms of t,

Vo(t) = 98cos(10^6t+0.25) V

Converting to microseconds,

Vo(t) = 98cos(10t+0.25) V which is incorrect. Not exactly sure what I've done wrong here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say Vb = 5V?

And when you say this "expression for vo(t) = vg = 1cos(106t) V", you really mean "expression for vo(t). vg = 1cos(106t) V", right?

berkeman said:
Why do you say Vb = 5V?

Because it is directly connected to the 5V terminal of the op amp.

berkeman said:
And when you say this "expression for vo(t) = vg = 1cos(106t) V", you really mean "expression for vo(t). vg = 1cos(106t) V", right?

Yes, that was a typo. I fixed it now.

zealeth said:
Because it is directly connected to the 5V terminal of the op amp.

I thought b is the inverting input of the opamp...

berkeman said:
I thought b is the inverting input of the opamp...

I believe I set it up the way my professor intended, as this was the method we used in class. He also specifies the node "at" the inverting input, rather than something along the lines of "node b is the inverting input."

zealeth said:
I believe I set it up the way my professor intended, as this was the method we used in class. He also specifies the node "at" the inverting input, rather than something along the lines of "node b is the inverting input."

The problem says it is an ideal opamp. What is the difference in voltage between the - and + input terminals for an opamp that is in a negative feedback configuration? What is the voltage on the + terminal?

berkeman said:
The problem says it is an ideal opamp. What is the difference in voltage between the - and + input terminals for an opamp that is in a negative feedback configuration? What is the voltage on the + terminal?

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The voltage on the + terminal is -5V which is given, so the difference between the terminals is -10V. However, I don't see what the positive terminal has to do with the problem.

zealeth said:
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The voltage on the + terminal is -5V which is given, so the difference between the terminals is 10V. However, I don't see what the positive terminal has to do with the problem.

No. I think I see your confusion now. The +/-5V shown are the power supply pins for the opamp. They are not connected to the +/- inputs of the opamp. The drawing should have been a bit clearer about that, since you are just learning about opamps.

So, what is the + input connected to (what does that down-arrow represent)? And that means the - input is at what voltage? Then see if you get a better answer for Vout... :smile:

Likes 1 person
berkeman said:
No. I think I see your confusion now. The +/-5V shown are the power supply pins for the opamp. They are not connected to the +/- inputs of the opamp. The drawing should have been a bit clearer about that, since you are just learning about opamps.

So, what is the + input connected to (what does that down-arrow represent)? And that means the - input is at what voltage? Then see if you get a better answer for Vout... :smile:

That might be it, I had never seen an opamp shown with the power supply pins yet. So doing this with V+ = V- = 0, I have,

Node a:

[itex]\frac{V_o - V_a}{100k}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{V_b - V_a}{20k}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{V_a - V_g}{5k}[/itex] + Va*(jωC)
[itex]\frac{V_o - V_a}{100k}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{0 - V_a}{20k}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{V_a - 1}{5k}[/itex] + Va*(j*106*100*10-12)

and for node b:

Vb = V- = 0

(Vo-Vb)*(jωC) = [itex]\frac{V_b-V_a}{20k}[/itex]
(Vo)*(j*106*10*10-12) = [itex]\frac{-V_a}{20k}[/itex]

Solving, I came up with 3.77∠1.38 which, when plugged into the equation, is vo(t) = 3.77cos(10t+1.38) V (already converted to microseconds/radians). However, this still isn't the correct answer. Any ideas?

EDIT: Just realized I did the unit conversion to microseconds wrong and that was what was causing me the issue here. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Ah, thanks for the Edit! I was just about to spend a lot of time going through the equations. Glad you figured it out! :smile:

1. How do you determine the output voltage as a function of time?

To determine the output voltage as a function of time, you need to know the input voltage, the circuit components, and the time varying parameters such as frequency and amplitude. Then, you can apply the appropriate formulas and equations to calculate the output voltage at different time intervals.

2. What is the importance of finding the output voltage as a function of time?

Finding the output voltage as a function of time is important in understanding the behavior and performance of a circuit over time. It allows us to analyze and predict how the circuit will respond to different inputs and how it will behave under different operating conditions.

3. What factors can affect the output voltage as a function of time?

The output voltage as a function of time can be affected by various factors such as the input voltage, the circuit components, the frequency and amplitude of the input signal, and any changes in the circuit over time due to temperature or aging.

4. How can you graph the output voltage as a function of time?

To graph the output voltage as a function of time, you can plot the output voltage on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. You can also use a computer software or a graphing calculator to plot the data points and create a visual representation of the output voltage over time.

5. What are some common methods used to find the output voltage as a function of time?

Some common methods used to find the output voltage as a function of time include using Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and various circuit analysis techniques such as nodal analysis and mesh analysis. Computer simulations and experiments can also be used to determine the output voltage as a function of time.