How to Generate a Function for Polynomial Interpolation in Excel

In summary, the problem discussed is about polynomial interpolation and generating a function on Excel. The goal is to find the value in a table that is 2 points above the input value, and select the next four values to use elsewhere. The solution involves using nested functions such as IF and MAX to determine the series corresponding to the input value and output it into the designated cells. The speaker also expresses interest in seeing how the coordinates of cells could be generated by a numerical expression.
brad sue
Hi ,
I have to generate a function on excel that does the following

the problem is about polynomial interpolation.

I have for example a column of values:

First , I need to find the value in the table that is 2 point above the input value.
For example , if my input value is 118 the first value is 0.

Second, my real problem is how to select the next four values ( and use them else where).

For the same example, if we enter 118, the corresponding colum must be:

I don't know how to go from a cell to another cell using a formula.
I hope that you can understand me.

thank you for your help

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm a bit autodidactic in Excel and I'd love to see too somebody to show how coordinates of cells could be generated by a numerical expression. As the problem is now, I figure you need a lot of (nested) copy pasted fuctions like IF(condition; output if true; output if false).

Success.

Got the spreadsheet ready. Not a big deal. I used "AND" functions to determine in between-which value the input is. Then IF functions to get the series corresponding with it. And MAX functions to get that particular series into the output cells. So, how would you do it?

Last edited:
Andre said:
Got the spreadsheet ready. Not a big deal. I used "AND" functions to determine in between-which value the input is. Then IF functions to get the series corresponding with it. And MAX functions to get that particular series into the output cells. So, how would you do it?

thanks I ll be back soon

1. How do I generate a function on Excel?

To generate a function on Excel, you can use the "Insert Function" button in the Formulas tab. This will open a dialog box where you can select the function you want to use and input the necessary arguments. Alternatively, you can also type the function directly into a cell and use the "=" sign to indicate that it is a function.

2. What are the advantages of using functions on Excel?

Functions on Excel allow you to perform complex calculations and manipulations on large sets of data quickly and accurately. They also make it easier to organize and analyze data, as well as create custom formulas for specific purposes.

3. Can I create my own custom function on Excel?

Yes, you can create your own custom function on Excel using the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) programming language. This allows you to create personalized functions that are not available in the built-in functions library.

4. How do I edit or modify a function on Excel?

You can edit or modify a function on Excel by clicking on the cell containing the function and then clicking on the "Edit" button in the Formula bar. This will allow you to change the arguments or make any necessary adjustments to the function.

5. Can I use functions on Excel to analyze data from multiple worksheets?

Yes, you can use functions on Excel to analyze data from multiple worksheets by referencing the cells or ranges in the other worksheets. This can be done by using the worksheet name followed by an exclamation mark before the cell or range, or by using the "SUM" or "AVERAGE" functions with a range that includes cells from different worksheets.