Vector Addition of differing quantities

In summary, the conversation is about a problem on a tutorial sheet that involved adding a displacement vector to a velocity vector. The question asks if the end answer has any meaning, but the participants agree that it is meaningless. They give examples of nonsensical additions to emphasize their point.
ilackinsight
My girlfriend had this problem on her first tutorial sheet at Univeristy. She is doing maths. I am doing physics and was interested in the answer.
It asked what the result was when a displacement vector was added to a velocity vector. The vector addition can obviously be done on these two quantities, but does the end answer actually mean anything? I would think it would be meaningless

Thanks.
Tom.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No need to go to vectors to talk non-sense! What 3 feet plus seven dollars? What is 4 mi/hr+ 3 seconds? What is 2 degrees Celcius+ 5 gallons?
See we can all play!

The only good answer to the question posed is "a meaningless quantity"!

Hi Tom,

I can assure you that the vector addition of differing quantities does indeed have a meaningful result. In this case, when a displacement vector is added to a velocity vector, the result is a new vector that represents the total displacement of an object, taking into account both its initial displacement and its change in position due to its velocity. This concept is essential in physics as it allows us to accurately describe and analyze the motion of objects in space.

Additionally, vector addition is a fundamental mathematical operation that is used in various fields of science, including physics and mathematics. It follows specific rules and principles that allow us to manipulate and understand the relationships between different quantities.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and shows the importance of vector addition in scientific research. Best of luck to you and your girlfriend in your studies!

Best,

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to create a new vector. It involves both magnitude and direction, and follows the rules of vector algebra.

2. How is vector addition different from scalar addition?

Vector addition involves adding two or more vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. Scalar addition, on the other hand, involves adding two or more scalars, which are quantities that only have magnitude and no direction.

3. What is the importance of vector addition in science?

Vector addition is important in science because many physical quantities, such as force, velocity, and displacement, are represented by vectors. By using vector addition, scientists can accurately calculate the combined effect of multiple vectors on a system.

4. Can vectors of differing quantities be added together?

Yes, vectors of differing quantities can be added together as long as they have the same units. This is because vector addition only involves combining the magnitudes and directions of the vectors, not their units.

5. What happens when vectors of differing quantities are added?

When vectors of differing quantities are added, the resulting vector will have a magnitude and direction that reflects the combined effect of the original vectors. This can be visualized using the head-to-tail method or by using mathematical formulas.