Historical information on density

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for historical information on density and the realization that densities cannot be added linearly. The conversation also mentions Archimedes' Principle as a related concept and provides links to further information on the subject.
koroljov
This may or may not be the correct forum to ask this, but let's ask it anyway.

I am looking for historical information on density.
It is so that densities can not be added lineary:
A material containing 10% of material 1 and 90% of material 2 will not have a density of 10% * the density of material 1 + 90% * the density of material 2.

I'd like to know who was the first that realized this.

(any other historical information on density is also welcome).

Physics news on Phys.org
While it's not strictly speaking density, Archimedes' Principle is related.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes
http://physics.about.com/cs/fluiddynamics/g/archimedes.htm

This may get you started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aha, I have re-read the site and have to change what I said. He probably did not do the experiment to determine if the kings crown was made of pure gold by simply using the law of the lever and the displacement of water. The problem with that method is that it is too small of a displacement of water when comparing pure gold to gold-silver alloy. To overcome this, he balanced the known gold and the crown on a lever. Then he put the lever into the water. If it remained level, then they both had the same volume. The Crown is quite nice too!
http://www.math.drexel.edu/%7Ecrorres/Archimedes/contents.html

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good one. I should have thought of that one. Thanks.

What is density?

Density is a physical property that measures the amount of mass in a given volume of a substance. It is typically expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3) in the metric system or pounds per cubic inch (lb/in^3) in the imperial system.

How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of a substance by its volume. The equation for density is: Density = Mass / Volume. This means that the units for density are the units for mass divided by the units for volume.

Why is density important in historical information?

Density is important in historical information because it can provide insight into the composition and properties of materials used in the past. Historical data on density can also be used to track changes in the environment, such as changes in air quality or water pollution.

What are some common examples of density in historical information?

Examples of density in historical information include the density of ancient coins, which can provide information about their composition and authenticity. Another example is the density of ice cores, which can provide information about past climate conditions.

How has the understanding of density changed over time?

The understanding of density has evolved over time as scientists have developed more precise measurement techniques and a deeper understanding of the relationship between mass and volume. In the past, density was often measured using simple tools such as scales and rulers, but now there are more sophisticated instruments and techniques available.