Find Domin of f(x)= xlnx - LHopital Rule

• Thread starter haya
  • Start date
In summary, the domain of f(x)= xlnx is x greater than 0. When substituting 0 for x, the result is undefined and cannot be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule. The domain of ln x, positive real numbers, is a subset of the domain of x, all real numbers. Therefore, the intersection of these two sets is just the subset of all positive real numbers. This has nothing to do with the limit or L'Hopital's rule. However, it is important to specify the domain of a function when defining it.
haya
Hi

What is the domin of f(x)= xlnx.

I know that: domin of x is R and domin of lnx is x greater than 0 so the domin of them will be x greater than 0

but when I subtitude 0 on f(x) I find (o.[tex]\infty[/tex]) and this form from LHopital Rule
so what shall I do I use the first tip or I use LHopital Rule to find the domin?

Physics news on Phys.org
ln x is defined only for positive real numbers, so the domain of your function is (0,inf). You can try and see of there is a limit of f as x tends to zero but this does not affect the domain.

If f(x) is defined on domain A and g(x) is defined on domain B, then f(x) times g(x) (or "plus" or "minus" g(x)) is defined on the intersection of sets A and B. In this case, the domain of ln(x), positive real numbers, is a subset of the domain of x, all real numbers. Their intersection is just the subset, all positive real numbers.

As Pere Callahan said, this has nothing at all to do with the limit or L'Hopital's rule.

You know, I really don't like this type of problem. Whenever you define a function you're required to specify its domain. So the question really ought to be asking for something like "maximal domain in R", because there is nothing wrong about defining the function f:{54, 97, 14654}->R by f(x)=xlnx.

I personally don't think that this kind of sloppiness is acceptable when you're just beginning to learn about functions, where this sloppiness is most present.

1. What is the L'Hopital Rule and how is it used?

The L'Hopital Rule is a mathematical rule used to find the limit of a function that is in an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions is in an indeterminate form, the limit can be found by taking the derivative of both functions and then evaluating the limit again.

2. How do you apply the L'Hopital Rule to find the domain of a function?

To apply the L'Hopital Rule to find the domain of a function, you first need to determine the indeterminate form of the function at the value in question. Then, you can take the derivative of both the numerator and denominator of the function and evaluate the limit again. If the limit still remains in an indeterminate form, you can continue taking derivatives until the limit is no longer in an indeterminate form.

3. What are the common indeterminate forms that the L'Hopital Rule can be used for?

The common indeterminate forms that the L'Hopital Rule can be used for are 0/0, ∞/∞, 0·∞, ∞ - ∞, and 1^∞. These forms occur when the limit of a function approaches a specific value, but the function cannot be evaluated at that value.

4. Are there any limitations to using the L'Hopital Rule?

Yes, there are limitations to using the L'Hopital Rule. It can only be used for functions that are continuous and differentiable in the interval of interest. Additionally, it can only be used when the limit is in an indeterminate form, and it may not work for all functions.

5. Can the L'Hopital Rule be used to find the domain of all types of functions?

No, the L'Hopital Rule can only be used to find the domain of functions that are in an indeterminate form. It may not work for all types of functions, such as discontinuous or non-differentiable functions. Other methods may need to be used to find the domain of these types of functions.