Eliminate parameter in parametric equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to eliminate the parameter in a pair of parametric equations in order to find the corresponding rectangular equation. The process involves solving for secant and tangent and then squaring and subtracting the expressions. One person struggles with understanding the concept, while another offers guidance and reassurance. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that the corresponding rectangular equation is ((x-h)/a)^2 - ((y-k)/b)^2 = 1.
teffy3001
so the question is:

eliminate the parameter in the pair of parametric equations

x = h + a secθ
y = k + b tanθ

to find the corresponding rectangular equation.

im taking an online course of calculus and i can't find an explanation of how to do this anywhere...ive been trying but it just doesn't make sense to me yet...any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
sec^2(x)-tan^2(x)=1. So solve for the sec and tan, square and subtract.

how do i solve for sec and tan?
sorry but this calculus thing...its been a while for me

teffy3001 said:
how do i solve for sec and tan?
sorry but this calculus thing...its been a while for me

Not a calc question. x=h+a*sec(t), x-h=a*sec(t), (x-h)/a=sec(t). That sort of thing. Remember?

thanks, so if i do all that...then that answers my first question too?

You will have eliminated theta, right? Isn't that the problem?

i don't even know...this is so confusing. sorry to bother you with this...

Just try doing it. Solve for sec and tan - then square both expressions and subtract.

so i would get ((x-h)/a)^2 - ((y-k)/b)^2 = 1 ?

Exactly. That wasn't so bad, was it?

haha no thanks.

1. What does it mean to "eliminate a parameter" in a parametric equation?

Eliminating a parameter in a parametric equation means finding an equivalent equation that does not contain the parameter. This is often done to simplify the equation or to better understand the relationship between variables.

2. Why would you want to eliminate a parameter in a parametric equation?

Eliminating a parameter can make the equation easier to work with and can help visualize the relationship between variables. It can also make it easier to solve for a specific variable or to graph the equation.

3. What is the process for eliminating a parameter in a parametric equation?

The process for eliminating a parameter varies depending on the specific equation. However, it usually involves substituting one equation into the other and then solving for the remaining variable. This may involve using algebraic techniques such as elimination or substitution.

4. Can you eliminate more than one parameter in a parametric equation?

Yes, it is possible to eliminate multiple parameters in a parametric equation. This may be necessary if the equation has more than two variables or if there are multiple parameters that can be eliminated.

5. Are there any limitations to eliminating a parameter in a parametric equation?

Eliminating a parameter may not always be possible, especially if the equation is highly complex or if there are multiple parameters involved. Additionally, eliminating a parameter may result in a loss of information, so it is important to consider the implications before doing so.