Hermite Polynomials: Spans All Polynomials f from R to R?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the Hermite polynomials, which are orthogonal, also span all polynomials f where f : R \rightarrow R. It is noted that orthogonality alone is not enough to show span, but the Hermite polynomials are infinite in number and it is believed that they do span all functions. However, it is pointed out that there are other mutually orthogonal polynomials that do not span. It is then suggested that a formal proof by induction could show that the Hermite polynomials do span.
Domnu
Since the Hermite Polynomials are orthogonal, could one state that they span all polynomials [tex]f[/tex] where [tex]f : R \rightarrow R[/tex]? This would be EXTREMELY useful for the harmonic oscillator potential in quantum mechanics...

Physics news on Phys.org
Domnu said:
Since the Hermite Polynomials are orthogonal, could one state that they span all polynomials [tex]f[/tex] where [tex]f : R \rightarrow R[/tex]? This would be EXTREMELY useful for the harmonic oscillator potential in quantum mechanics...
No. If you think of the two vectors:
(1, 0, 0) and (0, 1, 0)
They are orthogonal to each other, but they don't span.
on the other hand, consider the three vectors:
(1, 0, 0), (1, 1, 0), (1, 1, 1)
They span, but they are not orthogonal to each other.
Therefore, knowing that the Hermite Polynomials are orthogonal is not enough to show that they span. You would need to prove that.

It doesn't follow from orthogonality alone, but it is nevertheless true.

jimmysnyder said:
No. If you think of the two vectors:
(1, 0, 0) and (0, 1, 0)
They are orthogonal to each other, but they don't span.
on the other hand, consider the three vectors:
(1, 0, 0), (1, 1, 0), (1, 1, 1)
They span, but they are not orthogonal to each other.
Therefore, knowing that the Hermite Polynomials are orthogonal is not enough to show that they span. You would need to prove that.

Fair enough... okay so I guess a better argument would be that the Hermite polynomials are infinite in number and are all orthogonal, so they span all functions?

They are useful to express any function defined on the range on which they are orthogonal.
Other orthogonal polynomials will be useful to express functions on the range on which they are orthogonal (e.g. Legender polynomials on [-1,1].

Domnu said:
Fair enough... okay so I guess a better argument would be that the Hermite polynomials are infinite in number and are all orthogonal, so they span all functions?
No, that doesn't make any sense.

In what sense are you using the word "span"?

I'm using the word span in the sense that any polynomial of the form

[tex]f(\xi) = a_n \xi^n + a_{n-1} \xi^{n-1} + a_{n-2} \xi^{n-2} + \cdots + a_1 \xi + a_0[/tex]

can be written as a linear combination of [tex]H_0, H_1, \cdots, H_n[/tex]. I see I had a typo in my last post... I meant that the Hermite polynomials could span all polynomials (real).

Domnu said:
No. For instance, the following are mutually orthogonal and infinite in number, but they don't span,
(0,1,0,0,0,...)
(0,0,1,0,0,...)
(0,0,0,1,0,...)

jimmysnyder said:
No. For instance, the following are mutually orthogonal and infinite in number, but they don't span,
(0,1,0,0,0,...)
(0,0,1,0,0,...)
(0,0,0,1,0,...)

True. But it's pretty clear the Hermite polynomials span. H_n(x) contains a term containing x^n and none of the preceding H's do. You can formally prove it by induction, but it's actually pretty obvious if you imagine how you would go about expressing a given polynomial in terms of Hermite polynomials.

Dick said:
True. But it's pretty clear the Hermite polynomials span. H_n(x) contains a term containing x^n and none of the preceding H's do. You can formally prove it by induction, but it's actually pretty obvious if you imagine how you would go about expressing a given polynomial in terms of Hermite polynomials.
My guess is that Domnu would benefit by doing the induction.

1. What are Hermite polynomials?

Hermite polynomials are a sequence of functions that are solutions to a specific type of differential equation. They are named after the French mathematician Charles Hermite.

2. What is the significance of Hermite polynomials?

Hermite polynomials have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are commonly used in probability theory, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as combinatorics and number theory.

3. How do Hermite polynomials span all polynomials from R to R?

Hermite polynomials form a basis for the space of all polynomials from R to R. This means that any polynomial function can be written as a linear combination of Hermite polynomials. This is similar to how the basis vectors i, j, and k span the space of three-dimensional vectors in linear algebra.

4. What is the formula for calculating Hermite polynomials?

The formula for Hermite polynomials is given by Hn(x) = (-1)nex2/2 dn/dxn(e-x2/2), where n is the degree of the polynomial.

5. Can Hermite polynomials be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, Hermite polynomials can be generalized to higher dimensions. These are known as multidimensional Hermite polynomials and have applications in areas such as statistical mechanics and mathematical physics.