Ralph's Market: Free Sausage & More!

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary: I can't find it anywhere.In summary, the Ralph's market overcharged the customer for their beef summer sausage, and when the customer showed the checkout person the error, the checkout person said "you know what - you get it for free." The customer was also given free cookies while they shopped, and sometimes you see B-list movie stars in the Ralph's market. The Ralph's market also has a breadcrumb topping on their green bean casserole, which is yummy. The customer should have brought the sausage to the checkout to see what would have happened, but instead they were given a new sausage at the correct price. The Ralph's market has a sandwich/pizza shop that the
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I love the Ralph's market. They overcharged me by two bucks for my beef summer sausage and when I showed the checkout person the error, she said, "you know what - you get it for free." And gave me all my money back. I am a very happy customer. :approve:

They also give you free cookies while you shop. And sometimes you see B-list movie stars in there. And they have green bean casserole hot and ready to go at the deli. What a great place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I love the Ralph's market. They overcharged me by two bucks for my beef summer sausage and when I showed the checkout person the error, she said, "you know what - you get it for free." And gave me all my money back. I am a very happy customer. :approve:

They also give you free cookies while you shop. And sometimes you see B-list movie stars in there. And they have green bean casserole hot and ready to go at the deli. What a great place.
Yay for the free sausage.

Not so "yay" if the green-bean casserole contains the canned onion rings. That was nasty stuff when I was a kid, and it can't have improved over the years. (Just add xyz Hamburger Helper)

turbo-1 said:
Yay for the free sausage.

Not so "yay" if the green-bean casserole contains the canned onion rings. That was nasty stuff when I was a kid, and it can't have improved over the years. (Just add xyz Hamburger Helper)

They have some kind of breadcrumb topping on it. It is really yummy with nice big mushrooms in it.

:grumpy: I should have tried that...

I bought 4 knishes from the supermarket and they were supposed to be 50cents each.
The new person at the counter put a sticker on the bag that said $7.00 !
I told them about that and they put a new sticker with the correct price on it.

Arg..I should have brought it to the checkout and seen what they would have done about that. (imagines herself with free knishes)

Knishes.. hmmm.. I think I have had those. Those are the potato pancakes that you put applesauce or sourcream on, right?

Wow, that's a nice store MIH! Here if they ring up something wrong here, all they do is re-ring it at the correct price.

I only got something free once. It wasn't scanning and it was the only one left. There was a long line at the checkout and it was the only thing I was buying. I politely told the cashier to just forget it and not hold everyone up and she stuck it in a bag and handed it to me and told me that it was their fault for not pricing it. It was only worth about $1.50, but I felt like I had won the lottery.

There is a sandwich/pizza shop in our last home town that I had patronized for a long time. I was friendly (casually) with the owner and his wife, though they later divorced. At some point, he brought his sister into the business, and she cheapened up the sandwiches drastically. After buying an Italian (Sub) sandwich and finding that it was constructed with vegetables and meat that you could read bible print through, I took the sandwich back to the owner and registered my displeasure. I told him that I would gladly have paid higher prices for sandwiches if he was being squeezed by prices of ingredients, but please DON'T change the nature of his sandwiches. I got several free sandwiches after that, and if I dropped in when the owner was in the store, he would serve me personally, and ask if everything was "up to par".

Barry is a straight-up guy, and he realizes that reputation and customer feed-back is critical to the health of a local business. BTW, most of his staff has been with him for years, he supplies them with health insurance, and he supplies them with heavily-subsidized memberships to the local health club. This is fast-food with a conscience in a small town.

Evo said:
Wow, that's a nice store MIH! Here if they ring up something wrong here, all they do is re-ring it at the correct price.

I only got something free once. It wasn't scanning and it was the only one left. There was a long line at the checkout and it was the only thing I was buying. I politely told the cashier to just forget it and not hold everyone up and she stuck it in a bag and handed it to me and told me that it was their fault for not pricing it. It was only worth about $1.50, but I felt like I had won the lottery.

I was really jazzed, too. The subjective value of the sausage increased profoundly for me after I got it for free! It felt like more than a $6 gain. I'm thinking there needs to be a psych study on this scenario. :approve:

Topher925 said:
I offer this to the ladies all the time but none of them get nearly as excited as you have.

Maybe you should try overcharging them for your sausage first...?

Topher925 said:
I offer this to the ladies all the time but none of them get nearly as excited as you have.

Keep it Kocher buddy.

turbo-1 said:
There is a sandwich/pizza shop in our last home town that I had patronized for a long time. I was friendly (casually) with the owner and his wife, though they later divorced. At some point, he brought his sister into the business, and she cheapened up the sandwiches drastically. After buying an Italian (Sub) sandwich and finding that it was constructed with vegetables and meat that you could read bible print through, I took the sandwich back to the owner and registered my displeasure. I told him that I would gladly have paid higher prices for sandwiches if he was being squeezed by prices of ingredients, but please DON'T change the nature of his sandwiches. I got several free sandwiches after that, and if I dropped in when the owner was in the store, he would serve me personally, and ask if everything was "up to par".

Barry is a straight-up guy, and he realizes that reputation and customer feed-back is critical to the health of a local business. BTW, most of his staff has been with him for years, he supplies them with health insurance, and he supplies them with heavily-subsidized memberships to the local health club. This is fast-food with a conscience in a small town.

Sounds like a very well-run establishment. What a great perk to give your employees health club memberships!

Cyrus said:
Keep it Kocher buddy.

Free zucchini?

Math Is Hard said:
Sounds like a very well-run establishment. What a great perk to give your employees health club memberships!
Barry is a great guy! Lots of the women who work for him are a bit overweight (great pizzas, calzones, hoagies... go figure) but most have been with him for at least 5-15 years as far as I can tell. My mechanic's wife has been with him for 10 years at least, and she is probably 55. She is skilled, quick to respond, and is far superior to the teenies that work at the local McDonalds. It's nice to call a place like that and order two Dagwoods, and the person on the other end of the line says "One in a Syrian pocket and one on a Kaiser roll with light oil?" You can't buy that kind of service in a franchise!

I think that this illustrates one of the main differences between Yanks and Canucks. Although it has been offered upon occasion, there's no way that I would accept a freebee for a simple mistake. A refund of the overpayment is all that one has any right to. Taking a freebie under those circumstances, to me, is tantamount to theft.

Math Is Hard said:

that would make their customers love them more.:!) i just wonder how many stores around are like them.

Danger said:
I think that this illustrates one of the main differences between Yanks and Canucks. Although it has been offered upon occasion, there's no way that I would accept a freebee for a simple mistake. A refund of the overpayment is all that one has any right to. Taking a freebie under those circumstances, to me, is tantamount to theft.

I take the free cookies they offer, too. I'm despicable. :biggrin:

When we say "land of the free", we're talking about sausage.

dyosa said:
that would make their customers love them more.:!) i just wonder how many stores around are like them.

I totally love them. I will go out of my way to shop there now.

Math Is Hard said:
My store has free Gourmet Saturdays where they put out a wide range of gourmet foods to be sampled free. I always forget to go. :frown:

When we say "land of the free", we're talking about sausage.
:rofl:

Math Is Hard said:

I hope that you didn't take my comment as any sort of slight to your character. It was merely an observation about societal differences.
Free cookies, or other things of that nature, are a different matter. They fall under the promotional budget, the same as advertising. My concern in this case is that the price of the sausages might have been deducted from the cashier's pay. That's how it works in the bar business if you screw up a drink.

I think that was really nice of your shop to give you the sausage for free. They don't want to lose your custom and a shop with good customer service is always a good one to use. :biggrin:

Danger said:
A refund of the overpayment is all that one has any right to.

Danger said:
Free cookies, or other things of that nature, are a different matter. They fall under the promotional budget, the same as advertising.

MIH felt so happy she has to tell all PFers about that. It classifies as promotion.

Danger said:

Actually, I rather resent it when I have to spend time standing in line because a vendor makes a mistake. I would imagine that any possible inconvienence is the motivation for the full refund.

This got so bad with Wal Mart that I won't buy appliances there anymore. Every major purchase that we have made there was a problem. Sure, they provided an exchange or a full refund, but it took hours out of my day screwing around with it. At this point I think it's worth driving the extra half-hour to another store rather than dealing with their defective crap. Now, if they had agreed pay for our big screen TV, for example, I would have been a very, very, very satisfied customer! :biggrin:

Borek said:
MIH felt so happy she has to tell all PFers about that. It classifies as promotion.

That is exactly why they do it. Several stores have policies like that, and it's both incentive for them not to make errors (they lose money if they do) and inexpensive promotion to send a customer away so happy about the extra-special treatment that they tell all their friends about how wonderful that store treated them.

And, just to be clear, these types of things are based on store policy, not a decision made only by the check-out clerk to hand away something free because they can't get the price right.

Moonbear said:
That is exactly why they do it. Several stores have policies like that, and it's both incentive for them not to make errors (they lose money if they do) and inexpensive promotion to send a customer away so happy about the extra-special treatment that they tell all their friends about how wonderful that store treated them.

And, just to be clear, these types of things are based on store policy, not a decision made only by the check-out clerk to hand away something free because they can't get the price right.
Good point, Moonie. There is a food store near here that offers double-your-money back refunds if you get food that is unsatisfactory. People are honest enough not to abuse it.

Moonbear said:
these types of things are based on store policy, not a decision made only by the check-out clerk to hand away something free because they can't get the price right.

Oh, well then... eat! Enjoy!

I just went to Taco Bell and the cashier forgot to ring up my drink. I pulled money out to pay for one, but she just gave it to me!

People just love to give me free stuff!

Evo said:
My store has free Gourmet Saturdays where they put out a wide range of gourmet foods to be sampled free. I always forget to go. :frown:

There is a gourmet market here where they bring in fancy chefs on some Saturdays to cook up all these elegant dishes to sample. They cook right in front of you and give you a recipe so you can do it at home. The samples are like full servings, too. You can have a whole meal there!

Math Is Hard said:
There is a gourmet market here where they bring in fancy chefs on some Saturdays to cook up all these elegant dishes to sample. They cook right in front of you and give you a recipe so you can do it at home. The samples are like full servings, too. You can have a whole meal there!
Yes, they do that too. They also have a real fireplace that you can sit and eat your free booty next too. :approve:

Math Is Hard said:

Evo said:
Yes, they do that too. They also have a real fireplace that you can sit and eat your free booty next too. :approve:

Wow, that sounds really nice. I'm jealous! I don't suppose a store offering something like that would survive in a college town though. They'd have all the students living there for the free meals and never actually buying anything.

There was a restaurant (with really GOOD food) south of town when I was in college. John (the owner) was the cook and his wife ran the register. Every night, they would set out free food on a steam table, and send around sampler platters from time to time. There was a bar in the upstairs and another in the cellar with long-running reel-to-reel tapes made up by patrons. If John didn't have left-overs to distribute, he would come out and ask if there were any requests. He would gladly make us up batches of his potato pancakes with apple sauce, and serve up his home made sour pickles, etc. When I would show up, his wife would give me food alerts like "Don't go downstairs yet - John is sending out seafood Newburg with toast points (or steamed clams, or baked beans and biscuits, or lasagna, etc)." Pretty good eats for a college kid for the price of a few 25-cent drafts. There was also a large theater-type popcorn popper downstairs with oil and corn and salt at hand, and we regulars would man it and make fresh popcorn all night.

Last edited:

1. What is Ralph's Market: Free Sausage & More!?

Ralph's Market: Free Sausage & More! is a promotional event hosted by Ralph's Market, a local grocery store. During the event, customers can receive free sausage and other goodies.

2. When is the Ralph's Market: Free Sausage & More! event?

The event is typically held once a month on a Saturday from 11am-2pm. However, the exact dates may vary, so it is best to check the store's website or social media for specific event dates.

3. How do I participate in the Ralph's Market: Free Sausage & More! event?

To participate, simply visit Ralph's Market during the designated event time. You may need to show a promotional flyer or mention the event to the cashier to receive your free sausage and other goodies.

4. Is there a limit to how much free sausage I can get?

Typically, there is a limit of one free sausage per customer. However, this may vary depending on the store's discretion. Other goodies may also have a limit, so be sure to check with the store during the event.

5. Can I get free sausage and other goodies at any Ralph's Market location?

No, the Ralph's Market: Free Sausage & More! event is only held at select locations. It is best to check with your local store to see if they are participating in the event.