Is US Fusion Energy Research at Risk Due to Budget Cuts?

In summary: Yes, it is unfortunate that Fusion was popularized well before it was feasible as "just around the corner". However, while progress is apparently slow, we have made significant progress over the years.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
The President’s 2013 budget proposal has called for reduced funding of fusion energy programs. At the same time, an increasing portion of the fusion budget is allocated toward ITER, which is a large reactor being built in France, a collaborative effort between many countries. Funds for remaining programs are severely cut. One of the main tokamak experiments, Alcator C-mod at MIT, is slated to be shut down. Alcator C-mod has the highest magnetic field of current tokamaks and a large number of operating modes.

The domestic programs provide essential support for ITER (whose design is being updated based on researching coming out of these smaller devices). If we cut them, we are really slowing progress toward fusion power generation.

A few sites have popped up to raise some awareness and try to lobby Congress to allocate more funding for fusion research.
http://www.fusionfuture.org/
https://sites.google.com/site/plasmaphysicsletter2013/

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's disheartening...I'll have to look into those websites as soon as I get home.

Khashishi said:
If we cut them, we are really slowing progress toward fusion power generation.

I can remember when I was a kid in school and we had a science talk about a wonderful new invention the UK had made that would generate electricity so cheaply that people could use as much as they wanted for free.

That was the AERE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZETA_(fusion_reactor ) project, back in 1957.

Unless progress can go backwards from zero, it's kinda hard to see how it can go forwards any slower than the current rate.

AlephZero said:
I can remember when I was a kid in school and we had a science talk about a wonderful new invention the UK had made that would generate electricity so cheaply that people could use as much as they wanted for free.

That was the AERE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZETA_(fusion_reactor ) project, back in 1957.

Unless progress can go backwards from zero, it's kinda hard to see how it can go forwards any slower than the current rate.

Yes, it is unfortunate that Fusion was popularized well before it was feasible as "just around the corner". However, while progress is apparently slow, we have made significant progress over the years.

As a scientist involved in fusion research, I am deeply concerned about the potential consequences of reduced funding for US fusion programs. Fusion energy has the potential to provide a clean, safe, and virtually limitless source of energy for our future, and it is crucial that we continue to invest in its development.

The President's budget proposal, which calls for reduced funding for fusion energy programs and a shift towards allocating more funds for the ITER project, is a cause for concern. While ITER is a collaborative effort between many countries and has the potential to advance our understanding of fusion, it is important to remember that the domestic fusion programs play a critical role in supporting ITER's development. These programs provide essential research and development that informs the design and operation of ITER, and cutting their funding could significantly slow down progress towards fusion power generation.

Furthermore, the planned shutdown of the Alcator C-mod at MIT, which has the highest magnetic field of current tokamaks and a large number of operating modes, is a significant loss for fusion research. This device has contributed greatly to our understanding of plasma physics and has the potential to provide valuable insights into fusion energy production. It would be a shame to lose such a valuable asset due to budget cuts.

I urge Congress to carefully consider the importance of fusion energy research and the potential consequences of reduced funding. I also encourage the public to support these efforts by raising awareness and advocating for increased funding for fusion research. Websites such as fusionfuture.org and plasmaphysicsletter2013 serve as important platforms for advocating for fusion research and I urge everyone to get involved in these efforts. Our future energy needs depend on continued investment in fusion research, and it is crucial that we do not let short-term budget constraints hinder our progress towards achieving this goal.

1. What are US fusion programs and why are they important?

US fusion programs are research and development initiatives focused on harnessing the power of nuclear fusion. Fusion is the process of combining two atomic nuclei to form a heavier nucleus, releasing a large amount of energy in the process. This energy has the potential to provide a virtually limitless supply of clean and sustainable electricity. US fusion programs are important because they have the potential to revolutionize our energy production and mitigate the impacts of climate change.

2. What is the current state of US fusion programs?

The current state of US fusion programs is uncertain and in danger. While there have been significant advancements in fusion technology, the funding and support for these programs have been inconsistent. In recent years, the US has lagged behind other countries, such as China and the European Union, in terms of investment in fusion research and development.

3. Why are US fusion programs in danger?

US fusion programs are in danger due to a lack of consistent funding and support. The US government has not made fusion research a top priority, and funding for these programs has been subject to budget cuts and shifting priorities. Additionally, the pandemic has further strained the already limited resources for fusion research.

4. What are the potential consequences of US fusion programs being in danger?

If US fusion programs continue to be underfunded and unsupported, it could lead to a significant delay in the development of fusion technology. This delay could allow other countries to surpass the US in this field, putting the US at a disadvantage in terms of energy production and economic competitiveness. It could also hinder our ability to address the urgent issue of climate change.

5. What can be done to support and save US fusion programs?

To support and save US fusion programs, there needs to be a sustained and increased level of funding and support from the government, as well as collaboration and partnerships with private companies and international organizations. Additionally, raising public awareness about the importance of fusion research and its potential benefits can help garner more support and resources for these programs.