Finding the equation of a plane passing through 3 points

In summary, the equation of the plane passing through points A(2,1,0), B(3,-1,5), and C(2,2,1) is 7x+y-z=15. The inverted signs in the equation are due to the direction of the perpendicular vector, and to find the value of d, one can choose a point and solve for it in the plane equation.
Luscinia

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane passing through point A(2,1,0), B(3,-1,5) and C(2,2,1)

Homework Equations

Um..I don't know?

The Attempt at a Solution

Vector AB=(3 -1 5)^T-(2 1 0)^T=(1 -2 5)^T
Vector AC=(2 2 1)^T-(2 1 0)^T=(0 1 1)^T
perpendicular vector n= vector ABxvector AC=(-2*1-5*1 5*0-1*1 1*1--2*0)^T=(-7 -1 1)

since n=(a b c)^T will give a plane with equation ax+by+cz=d, I had assumed the equation of the plane would therefore be -7x-y+z=d, but it turns out it's actually 7x+yx-z=15

Why are the signs inverted? (I sort of missed a few classes so I may be unaware of some fundamental concepts here)
and how do I find d (which turns out to be 15)

Physics news on Phys.org
Luscinia said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane passing through point A(2,1,0), B(3,-1,5) and C(2,2,1)

Homework Equations

Um..I don't know?

The Attempt at a Solution

Vector AB=(3 -1 5)^T-(2 1 0)^T=(1 -2 5)^T
Vector AC=(2 2 1)^T-(2 1 0)^T=(0 1 1)^T
perpendicular vector n= vector ABxvector AC=(-2*1-5*1 5*0-1*1 1*1--2*0)^T=(-7 -1 1)

since n=(a b c)^T will give a plane with equation ax+by+cz=d, I had assumed the equation of the plane would therefore be -7x-y+z=d, but it turns out it's actually 7x+yx-z=15

Why are the signs inverted? (I sort of missed a few classes so I may be unaware of some fundamental concepts here)
and how do I find d (which turns out to be 15)

What do you get if you multiply both sides of 7x+y-z=15 by -1 ?

Getting to "d": take one point and solve for d to put it in the plane. If you use a different d, you get a parallel plane. So if you generate d for one point, you can check it with another (both of the others, if you're nervous :smile:).

Oh man, can't believe I didn't see that. Thanks!

1. What is the equation of a plane passing through 3 points?

The equation of a plane passing through 3 points can be written as Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z variables, and D is a constant.

2. How do you find the coefficients of the equation of a plane passing through 3 points?

To find the coefficients, you can use the three points given and set up a system of equations. Then, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the coefficients A, B, and C.

3. Can you find the equation of a plane passing through 3 points in 2-dimensional space?

No, the equation of a plane passing through 3 points can only be found in 3-dimensional space. In 2-dimensional space, the equation of a line passing through 2 points can be found using a different method.

4. Is there more than one equation of a plane passing through 3 points?

Yes, there can be infinitely many equations of a plane passing through 3 points. This is because there are multiple ways to set up the system of equations and solve for the coefficients. However, all of these equations represent the same plane.

5. Can the equation of a plane passing through 3 points be used to find the distance between the plane and a point?

Yes, the equation of a plane passing through 3 points can be used to find the distance between the plane and a point. This can be done by plugging in the coordinates of the point into the equation and using the distance formula to find the distance from the point to the plane.