What are toy gun caps made of?(those red circls that make a lot sound)

• Thread starter tsuwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gun Sound
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of explosive caps in toy guns. The black material on the caps may be mercury compound and is dangerous if ingested or if it is fired in a firearm. The caps were originally intended for use in pistols and rifles, but are now less common.
tsuwal
http://wildwesttoys.com/db1/00001/wildwesttoys.com/_uimages/capsforwebsite2.JPG

Do they have gunpowder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
yep - gunpowder

:O isn't that dangerous? Could hurt yout fingers if you burst them in your hand, right?

You need more gunpowder for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
These explosive percussion caps were not originally intended as toys but for use in pistols and rifles, when I was a boy you had to be over 16 to purchase them, I believe they are a mercury compound .

syhprum said:
These explosive percussion caps were not originally intended as toys but for use in pistols and rifles, when I was a boy you had to be over 16 to purchase them, I believe they are a mercury compound .
I think that he was talking about those paper "blasting caps" used in some toys. There is too little explosive in those "blasting caps" for use in pistols or rifles. However, they do make a lot of noise. One can smell the burning material after a few of them go off. Some type of must be combustion is going on.

Still, the OP asked a good question. I always thought that it was a minute amount of black gun powder. However, old fashion gun powder is not shock sensitive. It had to be ignited by heat, not hit with a hammer. The toy guns that I remember did hit the paper with a hammer. So now I am curious.

You may be right. The black material on the paper "blasting caps" could be a mercury compound. If so, there may be health problems associated with it. Maybe that is why I haven't seen those paper "blasting caps" recently. Maybe they were banned or replaced with something safer.

I remember shooting a lot of these things off. The smell of burnt paper was very strong. If there was mercury in those things, then the "toy gun" was a lot more dangerous than they appeared.

What are toy gun caps made of?

Toy gun caps are typically made of a mixture of potassium chlorate, sulfur, and antimony sulfide. These substances react when struck, producing the loud popping sound that mimics the sound of a real gun.

Are toy gun caps safe for children to use?

Toy gun caps are generally considered safe for children to use, as long as they are used properly. However, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and supervise children while they are playing with toy guns.

Can toy gun caps cause any harm or injury?

Toy gun caps can potentially cause harm or injury if not used properly. They should never be pointed at anyone's face or eyes, and they should not be used in close proximity to the ears. It is also important to use them in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.

How long do toy gun caps last?

The lifespan of toy gun caps can vary depending on the brand and type. On average, a single cap can produce around 1,000 shots before it runs out. However, this can also depend on how well the caps are stored and handled.

Can toy gun caps be recycled?

Unfortunately, toy gun caps cannot be recycled due to their chemical composition. It is important to dispose of them properly, following local guidelines for hazardous waste disposal. It is also recommended to use up all the caps before disposing of the toy gun to reduce waste.