Average power of A.C.

by kelvin490
Tags: average, power
Share this thread:
kelvin490
Apr15-14, 08:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 89
We know that the average power of A.C. is IVcosθ, where I and V are RMS and θ is the phase difference. I would like to ask in common application, such as power of a lamp, computer, fan etc. Can we simply assume the phase difference is zero and get a fairly accurate answer? Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
An innovative system anticipates driver fatigue in the vehicle to prevent accidents
Squink personal factory aims to make circuit prototyping easy
Catching grease to cut grill pollution
mjhilger
Apr15-14, 09:33 PM
P: 93
I'm sure others with more knowledge in this area will post a better response. Power Factor for switching power supplies that qualify for UL or other certs control the PF so essentially (0 - EDIT, this should be 1) for that one. Incandescent light bulbs are for the most part (0 - EDIT this should be 1) as well. Fans or other motor appliances are probably not. There are/were devices that are sold to view the power factor (watt wizzard I think was one) and other devices that are suppose to compensate to yield lower usage for those devices.

So to answer your question, no I don't think you can assume a power factor of (0 - EDIT this should be 1) because one location may have many fans, or other devices that might cause a 5 - 10% difference. However, if your location is just electronics and lights you might be able to assume PF of (0 - EDIT this should be 1).

Others will chime in and provide a better answer.
Baluncore
Apr15-14, 11:14 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 1,715
The power factor of a resistive or a perfectly corrected load is 1.00
The PF of a lossless inductor or capacitor is zero.

You can assume that all higher power equipment will have a PF better than 0.8
Very small items may have a worse PF but they will only be using small amounts of AC current.

So you can assume PF is 0.9 +/– 0.1 for any approved electrical product.
You can only assume for filament lamps and resistive element heaters that PF = 1.00

mjhilger
Apr15-14, 11:37 PM
P: 93
Average power of A.C.

Baluncore, thank you. Many years since I used PF remember the concepts, but the number slipped my mind. I should have looked up. Thank you for the correction.

Register to reply