Register to reply

Eigenvalue, Eigenvector and Eigenspace

by negation
Tags: eigenspace, eigenvalue, eigenvector
Share this thread:
negation
May10-14, 01:17 AM
P: 819
Let's say my eigenvalue λ=-1 and we assume eigenvector of zero are non-eigenvector.
An eigenspace is mathematically represented as Eλ = N(λ.In-A) which essentially states, in natural language, the eigenspace is the nullspace of a matrix.
N(λ.In-A) is a matrix.

Would it then be valid to say that the eigenspace, Eλ, whose eigenvalue, λ=-1, is the nullspace of the matrix, N(λ.In-A), is equivalent to the the vector , v, where
Av = 0.

If v is the nullspace of the matrix A then Av = 0, and similarly, if Eλ is the nullspace of a matrix, N(λ.In-A), then, it must equally be true that
[ N(λ.In-A) ] [Eλ=-1] = 0
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Simon Bridge
May10-14, 03:00 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,386
You mean you are trying to construct an eigenspace from a single vector?
lurflurf
May10-14, 04:29 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,263
It is not clear exactly what you mean by
Certainly some interpretations would make the statement true, but
[ N(λ.In-A) ] =[Eλ=-1]
is also true (some interpretations)

HallsofIvy
May10-14, 06:56 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,300
Eigenvalue, Eigenvector and Eigenspace

Quote Quote by negation View Post
Let's say my eigenvalue λ=-1 and we assume eigenvector of zero are non-eigenvector.
"We assume eigenvector of zero are non-eigenvector"? I don't know what this means. Do you mean that you are assuming that 0 is not an eigenvector or are you asserting that an "eigenvector" must not be the 0 vector?

An eigenspace is mathematically represented as Eλ = N(λ.In-A) which essentially states, in natural language, the eigenspace is the nullspace of a matrix.
N(λ.In-A) is a matrix.

Would it then be valid to say that the eigenspace, Eλ, whose eigenvalue, λ=-1, is the nullspace of the matrix, N(λ.In-A), is equivalent to the the vector , v, where
Av = 0.
No. First, it is a set of vectors, not a single vector. Second, it is the set of vectors such that (λ.In-A)v= 0, or equivalently, λ.Inv= Av, as you said, not "Av= 0".

If v is the nullspace of the matrix A then Av = 0, and similarly, if Eλ is the nullspace of a matrix, N(λ.In-A), then, it must equally be true that
I cant make sense out of that. You have, as part of your hypothesis, "If v is (in) the nullspace of the matrix A" but you conclusion has no "v" in it.
negation
May10-14, 09:34 AM
P: 819
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
"We assume eigenvector of zero are non-eigenvector"? I don't know what this means. Do you mean that you are assuming that 0 is not an eigenvector or are you asserting that an "eigenvector" must not be the 0 vector?

No. First, it is a set of vectors, not a single vector. Second, it is the set of vectors such that (λ.In-A)v= 0, or equivalently, λ.Inv= Av, as you said, not "Av= 0".

I cant make sense out of that. You have, as part of your hypothesis, "If v is (in) the nullspace of the matrix A" but you conclusion has no "v" in it.
You probably can't because it doesn't make sense. It's still a new topic to me so I'd figure the fastest way to refine my understanding is to state what I know and have it corrected where the understanding is flawed.

I'm stating that a zero vector is not within the consideration of an eigenvector as I've learnt.

Let's see:

λ is an eigenvalue of the eigenvetor V IFF det(λIn-A) = 0

Say we have a matrix [1 2;4 3] and det((λIn-A) = 0 gives
λ1=5 and λ2 = -1

1) Does this then states that λ1=5 and λ2 = -1 are eigenvalues corresponding to the eigenvector V?

2) Eλ12=Null(λIn-A) is interpreted as the set of vector with eigenvalues of λ1 and λ2 that maps
the matrix (λIn-A) to the zero vector. True?

3) where λ1=-1:

I have Eλ1=N(λIn-A) = N(-1[1 0; 0 1] - [1 2; 4 3])
= N([-2 -2; -4 -4])

4) (I shall take only λ1 as an example. Since Eλ1 maps the matrix [-2 -2; -4 -4] to the zero vector then could it then be written
as AV=0
where A = [1 2; 4 3] and V is the set of vector V = {v1, v2,....vn} that maps the matrix A to the zero vector?

If I could, then, matrix A after RREF(is it a necessarily condition to perform RREF on matrix A? what is the implication if I perform REF instead of RREF?)
becomes [ 1 1; 0 0 ] and V = {v1, v2}
and so,
[ 1 1; 0 0] [v1;v2] = [0;0]
Mark44
May10-14, 10:09 AM
Mentor
P: 21,216
You probably can't because it doesn't make sense. It's still a new topic to me so I'd figure the fastest way to refine my understanding is to state what I know and have it corrected where the understanding is flawed.

I'm stating that a zero vector is not within the consideration of an eigenvector as I've learnt.
By definition, an eigenvector is nonzero.

Let's see:

λ is an eigenvalue of the eigenvetor V IFF det(λIn-A) = 0

Say we have a matrix [1 2;4 3] and det((λIn-A) = 0 gives
λ1=5 and λ2 = -1

1) Does this then states that λ1=5 and λ2 = -1 are eigenvalues corresponding to the eigenvector V?
These are eigenvalues of that matrix. Each eigenvalue has its own eigenvector. For the eigenvalue λ1 = 5, an eigenvector associated with this eigenvalue is any nonzero solution x of the matrix equation Ax = 5x. Equivalently, x is a nonzero solution of (A - 5I)x = 0.

2) Eλ12=Null(λIn-A) is interpreted as the set of vector with eigenvalues of λ1 and λ2 that maps
the matrix (λIn-A) to the zero vector. True?
Not sure. This is a pretty cumbersome way to say it.
For a given eigenvalue λ of a matrix A, x is an eigenvector if it is a nonzero solution of the equation Ax = λx.
This is equivalent to (A - λI)x = 0, so x is any nonzero vector in the nullspace of A - λI.

3) where λ1=-1:

I have Eλ1=N(λIn-A) = N(-1[1 0; 0 1] - [1 2; 4 3])
= N([-2 -2; -4 -4])

4) (I shall take only λ1 as an example. Since Eλ1 maps the matrix [-2 -2; -4 -4] to the zero vector then could it then be written
as AV=0
where A = [1 2; 4 3] and V is the set of vector V = {v1, v2,....vn} that maps the matrix A to the zero vector?
No. You're not looking for solutions of Ax = 0 - you're looking for solutions of (A - λI)x = 0.

If I could, then, matrix A after RREF(is it a necessarily condition to perform RREF on matrix A? what is the implication if I perform REF instead of RREF?)
becomes [ 1 1; 0 0 ] and V = {v1, v2}
and so,
[ 1 1; 0 0] [v1;v2] = [0;0]
HallsofIvy
May11-14, 02:06 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,300
Quote Quote by Mark44 View Post
By definition, an eigenvector is nonzero.
I'm going to jump in here- Yes, many textbooks define an eigenvector to be non-zero. But many others define "Eigenvalue" by "[itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue for linear operator A if there exist a non-zero vector, v, such that [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex]" and then define an Eigenvector, corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], to be any vector, v, such that [itex]Av= \lambda v[/itex], which includes the 0 vector.

Personally, I prefer that because it allows us to say "the set of all eigenvectors, corresponding
to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], is a subspace" rather than having to say "the set of all eigenvectors, corresponding to eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], together with the 0 vector, is a subspace"

Register to reply