Convert $/Ah to $/kWh: Simple Explanation

• Thread starter km011
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convert
In summary, the conversation is discussing the conversion of the price of battery cells from $0.76/Ah to $/kWh, and the calculation involves taking the ampere-hour (Ah) rating and multiplying it by the voltage (V). It is important to account for the fluctuation of voltage and the specified discharge rate when considering the cost of battery cells. There was an initial error in the calculation, but it was corrected to include the "kilo" prefix.
km011
It has been years since my college physics class and I'm struggling to get an answer that makes sense. I'm trying to convert the price of battery cells from $0.76/Ah (for a 2.8-3.0 Ah battery cell) assuming 3.6 V to $/kWh.

This is likely really simple, but I really want to understand how to do this.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Amps are Coulumbs/sec (so Ah would be a measure of columbs)
Volts are Joules/Coloumb
so to get KWh (which is joules) You'd take Ah*V

cpscdave said:
Amps are Coulumbs/sec (so Ah would be a measure of columbs)
Volts are Joules/Coloumb
so to get KWh (which is joules) You'd take Ah*V

there's an unaccounted for "kilo" in there somewhere ?

Also realize that the voltage is not a constant 3.6V. Look at the discharge curves for the batteries you are considering. Also, the Ah rating is at a particular specified discharge rate only. (and temperature)

amp hours are used for volume of a battery. ex: 9v Duracell = 500ma/hr. which only means the battery will produce 500ma for one hour. or 100ma for 5 hrs. you had dollar signs so I can only take that as what would the cost be in dc battery output compared to alternating commercial supplied current. using 500ma is too small so figure a couple 50AH car batteries. last time I checked one kwh (AC) was about ten cents a kwh. so your 100AH batteries deliver (12 x 100) = 1200 or about 12 cents per hour. By the time the trickle charge was done you probably would have spent 3 times that amount. and that doesn't account for what bigguy said about curves, drop, etc.

jim hardy said:
there's an unaccounted for "kilo" in there somewhere ?

Opps there is indeed :) Only off by 10^3 that's a good day for me :D

What is the formula for converting $/Ah to $/kWh?

The formula for converting $/Ah (dollars per ampere-hour) to $/kWh (dollars per kilowatt-hour) is: $/kWh = $/Ah * (1000/1) * (1/1000) = $/Ah * (1/1000). This is because 1 kWh is equal to 1000 Ah, and we want to convert from dollars per ampere-hour to dollars per kilowatt-hour.

Why is it important to convert $/Ah to $/kWh?

Converting from $/Ah to $/kWh is important because it allows us to compare the cost of energy storage systems with different capacities. Since $/Ah is the cost per unit of energy (ampere-hour), it does not take into account the capacity of the system. Converting to $/kWh allows us to compare systems with different capacities on an equal basis.

What units are used for $/Ah and $/kWh?

$/Ah and $/kWh are both units of cost per unit of energy. $/Ah is dollars per ampere-hour, and $/kWh is dollars per kilowatt-hour. Both are commonly used in the energy storage industry to compare the cost of different systems.

How can I calculate the cost of an energy storage system using $/Ah and $/kWh?

To calculate the cost of an energy storage system using $/Ah and $/kWh, you will need to know the capacity of the system in ampere-hours and kilowatt-hours, respectively. Then, simply multiply the cost per unit of energy ($/Ah or $/kWh) by the system's capacity to get the total cost of the system.

Are there any other factors to consider when comparing the cost of energy storage systems?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when comparing the cost of energy storage systems. These include the efficiency of the system, the lifespan of the system, and any additional costs such as installation or maintenance. It is important to consider all of these factors in addition to the $/Ah and $/kWh costs when comparing different energy storage options.