Best Number Theory Books for Self Study | Ogilvy & Hardy

In summary, There are several good books for self-study in number theory, including Ogilvy's book, Hardy and Wright's book, Elementary Number Theory by Jones and Jones, and Fundamentals of Number Theory by LeVeque. These books are suitable for beginners and have solutions to exercises. Another option is Elementary Number Theory by Burton, although some may feel it could have been better.
murshid_islam
hi
i want know about a good number theory (NT) book for self study. i haven't studied NT before. so what would be a good book for me?
should i start with ogilvy's book? what about hardy?

thanks to anyone who can help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I liked Hardy and Wright, its a good and popular book.

thanks robert.
anyone else has anything else to offer?

Elementary Number Theory (Jones & Jones)
Fundamentals of Number Theory (LeVeque)

devious_ said:
Elementary Number Theory (Jones & Jones)
Fundamentals of Number Theory (LeVeque)

thanks devious_
are those books good for self study? i haven't done number theory before. i wanted to study it myself. so before i buy any books i need to know if they are good for a beginner like me.
thanks again.

Yes they are. The first one has full solutions to all its exercises at the back.

Well... I have Elementry Number Theory by Burton, but I Think the book could have been done better.

1. What makes "Best Number Theory Books for Self Study" by Ogilvy & Hardy stand out among other number theory books?

Ogilvy & Hardy's book is widely recognized as a classic in the field of number theory. It presents the subject in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible for self-study. Additionally, the book provides numerous examples and exercises for practice, helping readers to apply the concepts they have learned.

2. Is prior knowledge of mathematics required to understand this book?

Yes, a basic understanding of algebra and calculus is recommended to fully grasp the concepts presented in the book. However, the authors do provide a review of necessary mathematical concepts in the beginning of the book.

3. Are there any online resources that can supplement this book for self-study?

Yes, there are many online resources available such as video lectures, practice problems, and forums where readers can discuss and ask questions about the book.

4. How does this book compare to other number theory books for self-study?

While there are many great number theory books available for self-study, Ogilvy & Hardy's book is highly regarded for its clear explanations, numerous examples, and comprehensive coverage of the subject. It is also suitable for readers with varying levels of mathematical background.

5. Can this book be used as a textbook for a college-level number theory course?

Yes, this book has been used as a textbook for undergraduate and graduate level courses in number theory. It covers all the essential topics and provides enough practice problems for students to master the material. However, it is also suitable for self-study for those interested in learning the subject outside of a formal classroom setting.