Electrons at the speed of light?

In summary: It seems that at the level of detail you're asking about, the answer might be in how long it takes for the conversion to occur.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
If linear accelerator were to accelerate an electron very close to the speed of light towards a positron source, (or if the speed in a circular type accelerator with both electrons and positrons circling in opposite directions) could the electron reach the speed of light before collision with the positron? If so, does the electron turn into energy before collision?

Physics news on Phys.org
No particle (other than a select few) can reach the speed of light. This includes the electron. They have been acceleated to 0.99c but, not c.

Still my question is, in this case, a very high speed collision between an electron and positron, does the conversion of mass to energy take place at the time of collision or does it occur just before?

Jeff Reid said:
Still my question is, in this case, a very high speed collision between an electron and positron, does the conversion of mass to energy take place at the time of collision or does it occur just before?

What exactly do you mean by a "collision"? And what do you mean by "just before"? Isn't a free electron essentially a point source, meaning it has zero radius when looked at clasically? That would make the probability of a contact collision with it's antiparticle zero. So it must be some interaction with a more extended field, or else we must have its spatial dimension quantized above some lower limit. Similarly for "just before". At .999c, the electron covers a fair bit of distance in a very little time, and there's not much chance to give the positron advance notice of the electron's imminent arrival.

It seems that at the level of detail you're asking about, the answer might be in how long it takes for the conversion to occur. How long does it take a photon to be emitted when a bound electron in an atom transitions between energy levels? I suspect that's how long it would take for the mass-energy conversion to occur in the annihilation, but that's entirely conjecture on my part. I really have no idea if that's on the right track.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is also known as the constant "c" in Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.

How fast do electrons move?

Electrons can move at different speeds depending on the energy they possess. At room temperature, electrons in a wire typically move at an average speed of about 0.001% of the speed of light.

Can electrons travel at the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. As electrons have a mass, they cannot travel at the speed of light.

What happens to electrons as they approach the speed of light?

As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases, and its length contracts. This phenomenon is known as time dilation, where time moves slower for the object traveling at high speeds compared to an observer at rest.

Why is the speed of light considered the cosmic speed limit?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which energy and information can travel in the universe. Anything traveling at the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy, making it impossible to reach.