Finding an operation that makes a group

• Thread starter learningphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the author has been working through "Elements of Abstract Algebra" by Allan Clark and has been stumped by a question asking for an operation on (0,1) that makes (0,1) a group and makes the inverse of x, 1-x. After looking up the definition of a group, they found that the target of a group isomorphism is a group, so they just constructed the isomorphism before they figured out what the group was. This is a wonderful book that will help the reader learn a lot.
learningphysics
Homework Helper
Hi. I'm working through the book "Elements of Abstract Algebra" by Allan Clark. This question has stumped me... find an operation on (0,1) (set of reals x such that 0<x<1 ) that makes (0,1) a group and makes the inverse of x, 1-x.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know of an operation on R that makes it into a group with -x the inverse of x? Think of a way to make (0,1) correspond to R such that you can define your operation on (0,1) in terms of the very familiar operation on R.

Another thing you might want to think about is what the identity of the group will be.

Thanks AKG and Nate. I believe I've found the answer but I'm not sure why the method I used "works"...

I looked for a way to make (0,1) correspond to R as AKG said. I used the function: [tex]\frac{1}{2}tanh(u) + \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

From here I decided to multiply out [tex]\frac{1}{2}tanh(u + v) + \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Then after setting [tex]x = \frac{1}{2}tanh(u) + \frac{1}{2}[/tex] and [tex]y = \frac{1}{2}tanh(v) + \frac{1}{2}[/tex], I rewrote the above as:

[tex]\frac{xy}{1+2xy-x-y}[/tex] which is the product.

(I got this idea because the previous problem had the function [tex]\frac{x+y}{1+xy} [/tex] which you can get from substiting [tex]x=tanh(u)[/tex] and [tex]y=tanh(v)[/tex] into [tex]tanh(x+y)[/tex] but I really don't understand why it works)

Why did this method work? Thanks again for all your help.

Last edited:
Why did this method work? Thanks again for all your help.
Because the target of a group isomorphism is a group. You just constructed the isomorphism before you figured out what the group was.

that is a wonderful book. hang in there and you will learn a lot.

Thanks Hurkyl and mathwonk. The book hasn't covered group isomorphisms yet, but I looked it up and everything makes perfect sense.

1. What is a group in mathematical terms?

A group is a set of elements together with an operation that combines any two elements to form a third element. The operation must also satisfy four properties: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse.

2. Why is finding an operation that makes a group important?

Finding an operation that makes a group is important because it allows us to study the structure and properties of the group. It also helps us understand patterns and relationships between elements in the group.

3. What are some common operations used to make a group?

Some common operations used to make a group include addition, multiplication, and composition. These operations can be applied to various sets such as numbers, matrices, and functions.

4. How do you determine if an operation makes a group?

To determine if an operation makes a group, we must check if it satisfies the four properties mentioned earlier: closure, associativity, identity, and inverse. If all four properties are satisfied, then the operation can be considered as making a group.

5. Can an operation make more than one group?

Yes, an operation can make more than one group. This is because different sets and different combinations of elements can result in different groups with the same operation. For example, addition can make a group with integers, but it can also make a different group with rational numbers.