Re: Shielding Magnetic Fields of Permanent Magnets

In summary, there is conflicting information about the use of shields in the presence of alternating fields. While one book states that shields are only used in this scenario, others have found that static shields, such as Mumetal, are commonly used in various applications. Further discussion and research may be needed to determine the truth.
miloko
Hi all,

In one of the books I'm reading, it says that shields are only used in the presence of alternating fields. However, in some websites, I see people using magnetic shields for permanent magnets which has a magnetostatic field. I ran some simulations, and the filed of a permanent magnet seems to be shielded by a layer of nickel. So, who's telling the truth?

Thanks,
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
miloko said:
In one of the books I'm reading, it says that shields are only used in the presence of alternating fields.
This person is wrong (emphasis added by me to point out error).

Static shields (like Mumetal) are commonly used in many applications. See the similar thread under the Materials Engineering subforum.

Last edited:

Hello Michael,

Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic. I can understand your confusion regarding the use of shields for permanent magnets. Let me clarify this for you.

Firstly, it is important to understand the difference between alternating fields and magnetostatic fields. Alternating fields are constantly changing, while magnetostatic fields are constant and do not change over time.

Shields are commonly used to protect against alternating fields because they can induce electrical currents in materials, which can be harmful or interfere with electronic devices. In this case, a shield made of a conductive material such as copper or aluminum can redirect these currents, protecting the surrounding area.

On the other hand, permanent magnets produce magnetostatic fields, which do not induce electrical currents. However, these fields can still be shielded by materials such as nickel, as you have observed in your simulations. This is because nickel is a ferromagnetic material, meaning it can redirect or absorb magnetic fields.

So, to answer your question, both sources are correct. Shields are primarily used for protecting against alternating fields, but they can also be effective in shielding magnetostatic fields, depending on the material used.

I hope this explanation helps clear up any confusion. Keep up the good work with your research and simulations!

1. What is the purpose of shielding magnetic fields of permanent magnets?

The purpose of shielding magnetic fields of permanent magnets is to protect sensitive electronic devices or equipment from interference caused by these fields. Shielding can also prevent magnetic fields from affecting nearby objects or materials.

2. How does magnetic shielding work?

Magnetic shielding works by using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron or steel, to create a barrier that redirects the magnetic field away from the protected area. The shielded material creates an opposite magnetic field, canceling out the original field and reducing its strength.

3. Can all types of permanent magnets be shielded?

Yes, most types of permanent magnets can be shielded. However, it depends on the strength and shape of the magnet as well as the materials used for shielding. Some magnets may require multiple layers of shielding for effective protection.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to magnetic shielding?

One potential drawback of magnetic shielding is that it can also block or weaken the magnetic field, reducing its effectiveness for certain applications. Additionally, the shielding material may add weight or bulk to the magnet, making it less portable or limiting its use in certain environments.

5. Do permanent magnets require regular maintenance for their shielding?

No, permanent magnets do not require regular maintenance for their shielding. However, the shielding material may need to be periodically checked for any damage or wear that could affect its effectiveness. If damage is found, the shielding can be replaced or repaired to ensure continued protection.