Is Love Enough? Examining the Controversy Surrounding Cheyney's Unwed Pregnancy

• News
  • Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love
In summary, the Vice President's daughter is pregnant. She says that love is not an emotion, and that taking care of a child in a material and emotional way is what matters not the selfish feeling of love towards a child.
Jimmy Snyder
Cheyney's pregnant. I mean the Vice President's daughter. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16089803/. Here is an excerpt from the story:

msnbc said:
Carrie Gordon Earll, a policy analyst for the conservative Christian ministry Focus on the Family, expressed empathy for the Cheney family but depicted the newly announced pregnancy as unwise.

"Just because you can conceive a child outside a one-woman, one-man marriage doesn't mean it's a good idea," said. "Love can't replace a mother and a father."

I believe the timing of this, waiting until after the elections, is very suspicious.

Physics news on Phys.org
jimmysnyder said:
Cheyney's pregnant. I mean the Vice President's daughter. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16089803/. Here is an excerpt from the story:
Originally Posted by msnbc
Carrie Gordon Earll, a policy analyst for the conservative Christian ministry Focus on the Family, expressed empathy for the Cheney family but depicted the newly announced pregnancy as unwise.

"Just because you can conceive a child outside a one-woman, one-man marriage doesn't mean it's a good idea," said. "Love can't replace a mother and a father."
I believe the timing of this, waiting until after the elections, is very suspicious.
Suspicious or not I agree with the statement.
The best way to raise a child is with a mother and a father.

MeJennifer said:
I disagree, it's more important to raise a child with love, it does not matter who the primary care giver is. It also does not matter how many care givers there are. One is sufficient as long as there is love.

MeJennifer said:
And yet you changed the wording of it. Good for you. I agree with the mother and father part, I just can't figure out why she took a swipe at love.

jimmysnyder said:
And yet you changed the wording of it. Good for you. I agree with the mother and father part, I just can't figure out why she took a swipe at love.
Love is simply an emotional state not something that is magically given to someone else. In fact someone whose behaviour is conditioned by being loved by others will always have self esteem issues to deal with.

Taking care for a child in a material and emotional way is what matters not the selfish feeling of love towards a child. There is nothing wrong by loving a child of course but some people are incredibly naive about this and think that their love for a child is by itself something that is beneficial for the child.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
Love is simply an emotional state not something that is magically given to someone else. In fact someone whose behaviour is conditioned by being loved by others will always have self esteem issues to deal with.

Taking care for a child in a material and emotional way is what matters not the selfish feeling of love towards a child.
So "God is Love" is out? If you are not a Christian, you needn't answer that. The same goes for Carrie Gordon Earll.

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:

Taking care for a child in a material and emotional way is what matters not the selfish feeling of love towards a child. There is nothing wrong by loving a child of course but some people are incredibly naive about this and think that their love for a child is by itself something that is beneficial for the child.

I disagree, love is not an emotion, it is a choice. I think it is best explained in one of my brother's favorite television shows, Family Guy, where the main character's father says to him "I love you...I just don't like you."

As for the original post, I cannot see why parents and love were compared for raising children. I think it is mentally healthier for a child to grow up with parents of the opposite sex because men and women are so fundamentally different.

Who needs love when you're guaranteed a position at Haliburton before birth?
I just had to...

1. What does it mean for love to be overrated?

When something is considered "overrated," it means that it is given more value or importance than it deserves. In the context of Christianity, it suggests that love may not be as important or meaningful as it is often portrayed to be.

2. Are there different interpretations of love within Christianity?

Yes, there are various interpretations of love within Christianity. Some view love as primarily a feeling or emotion, while others see it as a choice or action. Additionally, there are different understandings of who or what should be the object of love, whether it be God, others, or oneself.

3. How does the concept of "Christian love" compare to other religions?

Many religions have similar teachings about love, such as treating others with kindness and compassion. However, Christianity places a strong emphasis on the love of God and the sacrificial love of Jesus Christ, which sets it apart from other faiths.

4. Is it possible for love to be overrated in Christianity?

Some may argue that love can never be overrated in Christianity, as it is considered one of the core values of the religion. However, others may believe that an excessive focus on love can overshadow other important aspects of the faith, such as justice and obedience to God's commandments.

5. How can the idea of "Christian: Love is overrated" be reconciled with the teachings of Jesus?

It is important to remember that the phrase "love is overrated" is a subjective statement and may not necessarily reflect the teachings of Jesus. While some may feel that love is given too much emphasis in Christianity, others may argue that it is the foundation of the faith and cannot be overrated. Ultimately, it is up to individuals to interpret and apply the message of love in their own lives.