Calculating Stress Along a Cantilever Beam

In summary, the conversation is about using a cantilever beam to determine an equation for stress along the top of the beam. The beam is 250 mm long, 3 mm high, and 25 mm deep with a modulus of elasticity of 68927 N/mm^2 and a moment of inertia of 56.25 mm^4. The formula for stress is (M*c)/I, where M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the proper fibers (half of the height, 1.5 mm), and I is the moment of inertia. The bending moment is outlined in the attached file. The person is unsure if their approach is correct and is seeking help.
X1088LoD
I am using a cantilever beam, guided on one end and fixed on the other, (example 1b from Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain), I have included the page from the book as an attachment.

I want to determine an equation for the stress along the top of the beam.

The beam is 250 mm long, 3 mm high, 25 mm deep.
The modulus of elasticity E is 68927 N/mm^2
The moment of inertia I is 56.25 mm^4
a = 0

From what I have been able to determine
stress = (M*c)/I
where M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the proper fibers (therefore this is half of the height, 1.5 mm), and I is the moment of inertia.
The bending moment is outlined in the attached file

Is this correct or am I taking the wrong approach? I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• cantilever.jpg
    cantilever.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,824
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well, you wrote down the relation between stress and the bending moment function, so try to work something out.

Your approach is correct, but there are a few additional considerations to keep in mind when calculating stress along a cantilever beam.

First, you will need to take into account the specific loading conditions on the beam. In this case, the beam is fixed on one end and guided on the other, so there will be a combination of bending and shear stresses acting on the beam. The equation you mentioned, stress = (M*c)/I, only takes into account the bending stress. To calculate the total stress, you will need to also consider the shear stress, which can be calculated using the equation VQ/It, where V is the shear force, Q is the first moment of area, and t is the thickness of the beam.

Secondly, the location of the neutral axis (where the stress is zero) will depend on the loading conditions as well. In this case, since the beam is fixed on one end, the neutral axis will be located at the fixed end. This means that the distance c from the neutral axis to the proper fibers will not be constant along the length of the beam. It will vary from 0 at the fixed end to 1.5 mm at the guided end.

Finally, it's important to note that the equation for stress you have mentioned is only valid in the elastic region of the beam. If the stress exceeds the yield strength of the material, the beam will experience plastic deformation and the equation will no longer be accurate.

In conclusion, your approach is correct, but make sure to take into account the specific loading conditions and the varying distance c along the beam. Also, keep in mind the limitations of the equation in the plastic region. Hope this helps!

1. How do you calculate the stress along a cantilever beam?

To calculate the stress along a cantilever beam, you need to know the maximum bending moment, the moment of inertia, and the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost point of the beam (also known as the section modulus). The formula for stress is stress = (maximum bending moment * distance from neutral axis) / (section modulus).

2. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at one end and is free to move at the other end. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects, such as bridges and buildings.

3. Why is it important to calculate stress along a cantilever beam?

Calculating stress along a cantilever beam is important because it helps engineers and scientists determine the maximum load that the beam can withstand before it fails. This is crucial information for designing structures that can safely support weight and prevent accidents or collapses.

4. What factors can affect the stress along a cantilever beam?

The stress along a cantilever beam can be affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam, the magnitude and direction of the applied load, the shape and size of the beam, and the support conditions at the fixed end.

5. Can stress along a cantilever beam be reduced?

Yes, stress along a cantilever beam can be reduced by increasing the section modulus of the beam, using a stronger and more durable material, or changing the support conditions at the fixed end. These strategies can help distribute the load and reduce the stress on the beam, making it more resistant to failure.