Integrating 2x: Why Doesn't it Work?

• Thread starter DavidWi
  • Start date
In summary, DavidWi's calculus class was going well until he mentioned trying to find the area between a function and the y-axis using the integral. He found that it didn't work, but he is unsure why. The problem is that the integral of a function between two points doesn't always equal the area between those points.
DavidWi
Ok, I was thinking today during my calculus class about taking the integral of a function in a different way. Let's assume for a second that we want to find the area between the function and the y axis, on the interval x = [0, 2] of the function y = 2x.

What I was thinking I could do, is take the integral of y.

(y^2)/2 then substitute 2x in for y, since y = 2x.

(2x)^2 / 2

That would give us the integral between the function and the y-axis and we would be able to put in the interval for x.

But it didn't work... I got the wrong answer? Why doesn't this work? I think it should work.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by DavidWi
Ok, I was thinking today during my calculus class about taking the integral of a function in a different way. Let's assume for a second that we want to find the area between the function and the y axis, on the interval x = [0, 2] of the function y = 2x.

What I was thinking I could do, is take the integral of y.

(y^2)/2 then substitute 2x in for y, since y = 2x.

(2x)^2 / 2

That would give us the integral between the function and the y-axis and we would be able to put in the interval for x.

But it didn't work... I got the wrong answer? Why doesn't this work? I think it should work.

Thanks.
Because that isn't how integration works?

Imagine doing the same for differentiation.

we want to find d/dx of x^2, well, d/dy of y is 1, so putting y=x^2, we get d/dx(x^2)=1It just isn't right.

More formally remember integration is wrt something

so integral of ydy is not the same as integral of x^2dx when you put x^2=y because the dy and dx are there, and if y=x^2, then dy is not dx - it is 2xdx

y=2x and x ranges between 0 and 2.

Of course, that's simply a right triangle with base (x-axis) of length 2 and height (y-axis) of length 4: its area is (1/2)(2)(4)= 4.

You could do this as [tex]\int_0^2(ydx)= \int_0^2(2x)dx= x^2\|_0^2= 4[/tex]

You could do this as [tex]\int_0^4(xdy)= \int_0^4\frac{y}{2}dy= \frac{y^2}{4}\|_0^4= \frac{16}{4}= 4[/tex]

Your formula is wrong because you never took into account the "dx" or "dy".

What does it mean to integrate 2x?

Integrating 2x means finding the function that, when differentiated, results in 2x. Essentially, it involves finding the antiderivative of 2x.

Why is it sometimes difficult to integrate 2x?

Integrating 2x can be difficult because it requires knowledge of integration techniques and the use of various rules and formulas. It can also be challenging when the function is more complex than just 2x.

What are some common mistakes when integrating 2x?

Some common mistakes when integrating 2x include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using the wrong integration technique, and making errors in algebraic manipulations.

Are there any special cases when integrating 2x?

Yes, when integrating 2x, there are special cases such as when the exponent of x is odd, which requires using the power rule, or when the function is in the form of a polynomial, which can be integrated using the polynomial rule.

How can I check my answer when integrating 2x?

You can check your answer by differentiating the antiderivative you found. If the result is 2x, then your answer is correct. You can also use online tools or graphing calculators to verify your answer.