Cancelling Confusion with Complex Numbers and De Moivre's Theorem

In summary, the conversation is about complex numbers and De Moivre's Theorem. The first example shows how to use the double angle formula for sine to simplify the expression. The second example uses the identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1 to simplify the expression. The person asking for help is confused about the steps involved and is hoping for clarification.
Trail_Builder
hi

i'm confused at to how my textbook has done the following cancelling :S. hope you can clear things up for me :D

thnx

context: I am looking at complex numbers and De Moivre's Theorem and its consequences Ill use \oslash as the "arguement".

1. [tex]z_{1}z_{2} = r_{1}r_{2}(cos\oslash_{1}cos\oslash_{2} - sin\oslash_{1}sin\oslash_{2} + i(cos\oslash_{1}sin\oslash_{2} + sin\oslash_{1}cos\oslash_{2}))[/tex]

which then cancels to

[tex]z_{1}z_{2} = r_{1}r_{2}(cos(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2}) + isin(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2}))[/tex]

I see how the [tex]cos(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2})[/tex] gets there, but not sure what's going on with the rest :S.

2. [tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{r}*\frac{cos\oslash-isin\oslash}{(cos\oslash+isin\oslash)(cos\oslash-isin\oslash)}[/tex]

cancels to

[tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{r}*(cos\oslash-isin\oslash)[/tex]

have no idea what's going on there lol.

hope you can help :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Trail_Builder said:
hi

i'm confused at to how my textbook has done the following cancelling :S. hope you can clear things up for me :D

thnx

context: I am looking at complex numbers and De Moivre's Theorem and its consequences Ill use \oslash as the "arguement".

1. [tex]z_{1}z_{2} = r_{1}r_{2}(cos\oslash_{1}cos\oslash_{2} - sin\oslash_{1}sin\oslash_{2} + i(cos\oslash_{1}sin\oslash_{2} + sin\oslash_{1}cos\oslash_{2}))[/tex]

which then cancels to

[tex]z_{1}z_{2} = r_{1}r_{2}(cos(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2}) + isin(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2}))[/tex]

I see how the [tex]cos(\oslash_{1} + \oslash_{2})[/tex] gets there, but not sure what's going on with the rest :S.
This is just using the double angle formula for sine: sin(a+b)=sin(a)cos(b)+cos(a)sin(b)
2. [tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{r}*\frac{cos\oslash-isin\oslash}{(cos\oslash+isin\oslash)(cos\oslash-isin\oslash)}[/tex]

cancels to

[tex]\frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{r}*(cos\oslash-isin\oslash)[/tex]

have no idea what's going on there lol.
Expand the denominator, and use the identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1

thnx buddy :D

1. What is De Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem is a mathematical formula that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that for any complex number z and any positive integer n, (cos θ + i sin θ)^n = cos(nθ) + i sin(nθ). This theorem is useful for simplifying complex number expressions and solving problems involving complex numbers.

2. How is De Moivre's Theorem used to cancel confusion with complex numbers?

De Moivre's Theorem allows us to easily find powers and roots of complex numbers. This can be helpful in simplifying complex number expressions and solving problems involving complex numbers, which can often be confusing due to their non-intuitive nature. By using De Moivre's Theorem, we can better understand and manipulate complex numbers, making them less confusing.

3. What are the applications of De Moivre's Theorem?

De Moivre's Theorem has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in solving problems involving complex numbers, such as finding roots and powers of complex numbers, as well as in solving differential equations and modeling periodic phenomena. It is also used in signal processing, electrical engineering, and control systems.

4. Are there any real-life examples where De Moivre's Theorem is used?

De Moivre's Theorem has many real-life applications, such as in AC circuit analysis, where it is used to find the impedance of a circuit. It is also used in navigation and mapping, as well as in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism. Additionally, it is used in finance to model stock prices and in biology to study population dynamics.

5. Can De Moivre's Theorem be extended to higher powers?

Yes, De Moivre's Theorem can be extended to any real or complex power. This is known as the generalized De Moivre's Theorem and is expressed as (cos θ + i sin θ)^x = cos(xθ) + i sin(xθ), where x can be any real or complex number. This extension is useful in solving problems involving fractional or negative powers of complex numbers.