What are the practical applications of sets converging to repeating values?

In summary, the conversation is about the Mandelbrot set and its generating function, which can frequently converge to sets of repeating values instead of single values. The speaker has two questions regarding these types of convergents and their practical applications, as they are interested in using them in a "loopless" computer language. The expert summarizes that these types of convergents are called "attracting cycles" and can bifurcate as the parameters are adjusted. The speaker thanks the expert for the information.
ktoz
Back in the fractal craze, I wrote a simple application to generate the Mandelbrot set, and after way too many wasted hours, I noticed that the generating function frequently converged to sets of repeating values rather than single values. For example, for a 5 value convergent, the terms of the set are related by:

f(x1) = f(x0)
f(x2) = f(x1)
f(x4) = f(x3)
f(x0) = f(x4)

I have two questions related to this:
- Do sets of values that are related by these types of loops, have a name?
- Do these types of convergents have any practical applications?

Reason I ask is that I'm playing around with ideas for a "loopless" computer language and have come up with a few formulas that can eliminate iteration in specialized cases but these "poly-convergents" have always interested me as a potential way to directly calculate more complex states. Problem is though, I don't know what they're called.

Thanks for any info

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's called an "attracting cycle".

As you adjust the parameters, you can watch the cycle "bifuricate"; e.g. you can watch a fixed point split into a two-cycle.

Hurkyl said:
It's called an "attracting cycle".

Thanks Hurky

1. What is meant by "converging to sets"?

"Converging to sets" refers to the process of finding a common or shared set of elements between two or more sets. This can be done through various methods such as intersection, union, or complement.

2. How is "converging to sets" different from "intersecting sets"?

The term "converging to sets" is often used interchangeably with "intersecting sets". However, "converging to sets" typically implies finding the shared elements between sets that may have overlapping elements, while "intersecting sets" refers to finding the common elements between sets that have no overlap.

3. What are the different methods of converging to sets?

There are three main methods of converging to sets: intersection, union, and complement. Intersection involves finding the shared elements between two sets, union involves combining all elements from two sets into one, and complement involves finding the elements that are not shared between two sets.

4. How is "converging to sets" used in data analysis?

In data analysis, "converging to sets" can be used to identify patterns and relationships between different sets of data. It can help in identifying common characteristics or factors that are shared between different sets, which can provide valuable insights for decision making and problem solving.

5. Can "converging to sets" be applied to more than two sets?

Yes, "converging to sets" can be applied to any number of sets. The process may become more complex as the number of sets increases, but the same principles of finding shared elements between sets still apply.