Understanding Centripetal Force: The Effects of Manipulating Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving manipulating variables and investigating their effects on centripetal force. The relationship between centripetal force and the variables of mass, velocity, and radius is explained, and the concept of a constant force is discussed. The experiment involves swinging a weight on a string through a pipe with another weight attached at the bottom, and keeping the bottom weight constant to maintain a constant force.
Aus_Phys
I had to do an experiment where you manipulate and change different variables (mass providing centripetal force, radius etc.) and then further invesigate the effects on centripetal force that these changes had.
My problem is that it says that by keeping the mass providing the centripetal force constant, the centripetal force remains constant... so what would that force be if the providing mass was 250g. I've been reading and from what I've seen it would be 2.5N but it still doesn't make sense! Can someone please explain!

Also... What would be the relationship between the variables i mentioned?

Physics news on Phys.org
Plz Help!

It sounds like you probably need to review about centripetal force. If an object is moving in a circle at constant tangential speed, there is an acceleration directed toward the center of the circular path. That acceleration (ac) is v^2 / r (you can prove that geometrically). Since F = m*a, the centripetal force is [itex]F_c = m a_c[/itex], or [itex]F_c = m v^2 / r[/itex]. So, centripetal force depends on the mass of the object moving in the circle, its velocity, and the radius of the circular path.

I hope this helps your understanding of what was happening in the experiment. Was the experiment by any chance swinging around a weight on a string through a pipe with another weight attached at the other end?

Yes It Was

Thanks that makes sense, but I'm still not quite sure on the mass providing the force, because it says that by having this mass constant, the force will remain constant, but what i that constant force going to be is the mass is 250g??

Alright...the question probably meant that by keeping the mass hanging at the bottom steady while swinging the top mass around, it exerts a constant force (Mg) on the string. The string then exerts that force on the swinging weight (it acts as the centripetal force), and since the string doesn't move up or down in the pipe, the net force is 0; i.e. mv^2/r = Mg, where M is the hanging mass. You probably did several trials in which you varied the swinging weight's mass or the velocity with which you swung it around, but by using the same mass on the bottom you are ensuring that the same force is exerted on the swinging mass every time. Does that help?

Yes, Thank You

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, towards the center of the circle. It is required to keep the object moving in a curved path instead of a straight line.

2. How do you conduct a centripetal force experiment?

To conduct a centripetal force experiment, you will need a string, a weight, and a stopwatch. First, tie the weight to one end of the string and hold the other end in your hand. Swing the weight in a circular motion and start the stopwatch. Measure the time it takes for the weight to complete one full rotation. Repeat this process with different lengths of string and record the time for each length.

3. What is the relationship between centripetal force and the radius of the circle?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius of the circle increases, the centripetal force required to keep the object moving in a circular path also increases.

4. How does the speed of the object affect the centripetal force?

The speed of the object has a direct relationship with the centripetal force. As the speed of the object increases, the centripetal force required to keep it in a circular path also increases. This is because a higher speed means a larger force is needed to counteract the object's tendency to move in a straight line.

5. What are some real-life applications of centripetal force?

Centripetal force is essential in many everyday activities, such as driving around a curved road, swinging a bucket of water in a circular motion, or riding a roller coaster. It is also used in more complex systems like satellites orbiting Earth and the planets orbiting the sun.