What is the distance traveled by the block in the next 5.70 s?

In summary, a dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 74.0 N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 13.0 m in a time 4.50 s. To determine how far the block will move in the next 5.70 s, we need to find the velocity at the end of the first 4.50 s, which is 5.78 m/s. Then, using the equation v = d/t, we can calculate that the block will move 32.9 m in the next 5.70 s.
Heat

Homework Statement

A dockworker applies a constant horizontal force of 74.0 N to a block of ice on a smooth horizontal floor. The frictional force is negligible. The block starts from rest and moves a distance 13.0 m in a time 4.50 s.

If the worker stops pushing at the end of 4.50 s, how far does the block move in the next 5.70 s?

Homework Equations

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for mass, using the equation,

m = 57.6

now that I know mass

how do I get started?

I tried doing (74/57.6)5.70

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need the mass in this question or the force. You just need the velocity at the end of the 4.50s.

Then you answer would be v*5.70s

velocity should be then 13/4.50? am i right..

Heat said:
velocity should be then 13/4.50? am i right..

No. That is only for constant velocity... the block is accelerating.

would velocity then be 5.78m/s?

Heat said:
would velocity then be 5.78m/s?

Yup.

1. What is the formula for finding distance traveled?

The formula for finding distance traveled is distance = speed x time, or d = st. This formula can be used for any type of motion, whether it is constant or changing.

2. Can the formula for finding distance traveled be used for both linear and circular motion?

Yes, the formula for finding distance traveled can be used for both linear and circular motion. However, for circular motion, the speed must be constant for the formula to be accurate.

3. How can I find the distance traveled if the speed is not constant?

If the speed is not constant, the distance traveled can be found by dividing the motion into smaller segments with constant speeds. The total distance traveled would then be the sum of the distances traveled in each segment.

4. Can the formula for finding distance traveled be used for objects accelerating or decelerating?

Yes, the formula for finding distance traveled can be used for objects accelerating or decelerating. However, the speed used in the formula should be the average speed over the entire time period.

5. How does the direction of motion affect the distance traveled?

The direction of motion does not affect the distance traveled. The formula for finding distance traveled only takes into account the magnitude of speed, not the direction. However, if the motion changes direction, the distance traveled would be the sum of the distances traveled in each direction.