What are the final velocities of two balls after a head-on elastic collision?

In summary, the two balls after the collision will have a speed and direction of 3.70 m/s and .220 degrees, respectively.
perfectionist17
Problem:
"A ball with the mass of .440 kg moving east (+x direction) with a speed of 3.70 m/s collides head-on with a .220 kg ball at rest. If the collision is perfectly elastic, what will be the speed and direction of each object after the collision?

Relevant equations.

Conservation of momentum:

m* vi of b1 + m* vi of b2= m* vf of b1 + m* vi of b2

and conservation of kinetic energy...

1/2mvf^2= 1/2 mvi^2

Attempt at Solution:

.440(3.70) + .220(0)= .440(vf1) + .220(vf2)

1.63= .44(vf1) + .220(Vf2)

and then...

1/2 (.440)(3.7^2)= 1/2 (.440)(Vf^2) + 1/2(.220)(vf^2)

3.01= " "

**** Where do I go from here? Also, do I have to use the component form (as in, momentum of initial x component= momentum of final x component), etc? What about angles? I'm so confused because I feel like I should be using angles if its 2-D collisions, but none are given in the problem and I'm not sure if they'll go off a 90 degree angle or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are quite close actually. Here are a couple of hints.

1. Re angles, think of playing pool and using the cue ball for an absolute straight in shot to the pocket

2. Re kinetic energy, you need to consider the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision

:smile:

thank you very much!

so does that mean I don't consider components or angles at all?

since there are two unknowns in each equation, do I simply solve for one say in the kinetic equation then substitute it back into my conservation of momentum?

and when do you consider angles? i thought this was 2-D motion and that's when angles have to be taken into account, but maybe I'm wrong?

Well, if it had been labeled 1D you wouldn't need to think as much! :smile: Actually, can't distance + time be considered 2D?

The clue to me was that the 2nd ball was at rest. If it had been initially moving in a direction that was non-colinear with the direction of the 1st ball, then angles would be involved.

Yep, I see this as a 2-equation in 2-unknown problem.

1. What is a 2-D elastic collision?

A 2-D elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that after the collision, the total kinetic energy and total momentum of the system remains the same.

2. How is a 2-D elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy such as heat or sound. In a 2-D elastic collision, all of the kinetic energy is conserved, resulting in a bounce or rebound effect.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a 2-D elastic collision?

The outcome of a 2-D elastic collision is affected by factors such as the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the angle of collision, and the coefficient of restitution of the objects.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to 2-D elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of how "bouncy" an object is. In a 2-D elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution determines the ratio of initial velocity to final velocity after the collision. Objects with a higher coefficient of restitution will have a greater rebound effect after colliding.

5. Can a 2-D elastic collision ever be perfectly elastic?

In theory, a 2-D elastic collision can be perfectly elastic, meaning that no kinetic energy is lost during the collision. However, in real-world scenarios, there will always be some energy lost due to factors such as friction and air resistance.