Previous Internship - help or not?

• Thread starter user101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internship
In summary, the speaker is a junior EE with a strong GPA in both EE&CS and overall. They have leadership positions in clubs and have been called for interviews by major companies in their sophomore year. They had a summer internship in manufacturing engineering and gained experience in Six Sigma, Lean, and the business side of engineering. They are hoping this experience will help them find a decent internship in their upcoming summer even though it was not directly related to EE. They also mention TA-ing for a computer science class and believe it would be beneficial to mention it in their resume. They also mention the importance of having a good GPA in the job search process.
user101
Hi all, I'm a junior EE with an excellent EE&CS GPA, and decent overall GPA. I'm very active in clubs with numerous leadership positions and believe I have good interviewing skills. I got called by a few major companies last year to be interviewed (like General Dynamics, etc) during my sophomore year. They flew me out (on their own expense) and basically pampered me for the four days (it's too bad because I didn't get the job because of my lack of experience in school, but it was fun, nonetheless).

Just this past summer, I had an internship with a major aircraft company. I worked as a Manufacturing Engineering Intern for about two months during the summer. The experience was alright, but I did learn a lot about the professional world. I wasn't expecting the work I got when I first got there, but you have to start somewhere -- so please don't think I'm complaining. I also gained a great amount of experience with Six Sigma, Lean, and the business side of engineering (which I think is a plus, because I do want to go for my MBA and go into management after a few years when I graduate).

Most of my classmates (EE and CE majors) did not have internships this past summer. Will my internship (in the manufacturing engineering field) help me at all with finding a decent internship for this upcoming summer, even though it wasn't related to EE at all? I'd like to think it would, but I know I'm thinking that just to make myself feel better. I figure I gained a substantial amount of exposure to the things I mentioned above and hopefully that will help me.

Any thoughts from those that are engineers, in HR, or have heard stories from friends and families?

Also, on a side note, I figure I'd throw this in here - I TA'd for a computer science class for about 5 weeks (meaning 5 CS labs, 2 hour sessions). I wasn't an official TA, but I joined in as help. There was already a TA for the course, but I was still in there with the instructor and the TA. Should I mention it in my resume?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would help. As long as your GPA is good. My one friend had a 2.9 GPA and did awesome at this last internship as a computer engineer but some company's wouldn't look at his resume because of the GPA.

I can tell you that any form of hands-on experience, whether it is through an internship or a TA position, is valuable in the field of engineering. It shows that you have practical skills and can apply your knowledge in a real-world setting. Your internship in the manufacturing engineering field may not be directly related to EE, but the skills you gained in Six Sigma, Lean, and business management are transferable and can be applied in any engineering field.

Having an internship on your resume also shows that you are proactive and have taken the initiative to gain practical experience, which is highly valued by employers. It also sets you apart from your classmates who did not have internships during the summer.

In addition, being a TA for a computer science class also demonstrates your ability to communicate and teach technical concepts, which is a valuable skill in any engineering role.

Overall, I believe your previous internship and TA experience will definitely help you in finding a decent internship for this upcoming summer. It shows that you are a well-rounded and dedicated student, and I would encourage you to include both experiences on your resume. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. Will having a previous internship help me in my career?

Yes, having a previous internship can be very beneficial in your career. It shows that you have practical experience in your field and have been exposed to real-world situations. This can make you a more attractive candidate to potential employers and can help set you apart from other applicants.

2. How can my previous internship experience be useful in my current job search?

Your previous internship experience can be useful in your current job search in many ways. It can demonstrate your skills and knowledge in your field, provide you with relevant experience to include on your resume, and give you valuable connections and references. It can also show your dedication and commitment to your chosen career path.

3. What if my previous internship was in a different field or industry?

Even if your previous internship was in a different field or industry, it can still be helpful in your career. The skills and experiences you gained can be transferable to your current field, and it can show your adaptability and willingness to learn. It may also give you a unique perspective and set you apart from other candidates.

4. Should I include my previous internship on my resume?

Yes, it is recommended to include your previous internships on your resume. It can demonstrate your experience and skills to potential employers and can help you stand out in a competitive job market. Make sure to highlight the specific tasks and projects you worked on during your internship and how it relates to the job you are applying for.

5. How can I use my previous internship to advance my career?

Your previous internship can be a valuable tool in advancing your career. You can leverage the skills and experience gained to apply for higher-level positions or negotiate a higher salary. You can also use the connections you made during your internship to network and potentially open up new job opportunities. It is also important to continue learning and growing from your internship experience to further enhance your career prospects.